And a few more visitors...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Port Macquarie
December 2nd 2011
Published: January 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

If our visitors from Canada weren't enough, we have had many frequent visits from kookaburra's, wild bush turkey's (and no I am not talking about my Dad), so many lizards that you have to watch where you step sometimes and even a few koalas in the wild. We also had Brett's aunt and uncle, Shelly and Dennis come up for a week visit and they stayed in the caravan park right next door to our apartment. So with them coming up that meant partaking in a few happy hours or 2 and trying to knock of work early. It was also Melbourne Cup Day which in Australia is pretty much an national holiday (and definitely is a stat holiday down in Melbourne!). Most businesses shut down at the very least for the afternoon when the horse race is on and everyone gets all frocked up to watch the races. We had our own Melbourne Cup party at our place (in between Brett and I working), to take part in the festivities, have a few afternoon bevvies and appies and place a few bets. Ours were limited to $2 total and Shelly came out the big winner, with my Mom in 2nd, and myself in 3rd – so the girls took it out. Which only meant the guys had to have a few extra beers to drown their sorrows.....

We had a great week with Shell and Den as our neighbours and were sorry to see them go. My parents decided to stick around a bit longer as they were really enjoying the area (and I am sure cooking and cleaning for us! ha.), and it was great having them there (and not only for those reasons!). But eventually it was time for them to hit the road, or the skies, and they flew over for 10 days in the Perth area in Western Australia followed by about 5 days in Melbourne. It had been our plan to meet up with them in Melbourne or even Sydney before they flew out but Brett and the guys weren't quite done the skatepark so it meant we had to stay in Port Macquarie. Which we weren't really to upset about, and it meant my parents got to come back up there as well for the last week, which I think they were just fine with as well. But before we knew it that last week was over, and with barely a day off at the end (which of course was raining) we were on our way out of Port Macquarie without Brett even having a proper skate of the new park. We were off down to Sydney for a week, then Melbourne for a week and my parents' 7 week trip to Australia was over and it was back to Vancouver for them.

And as we said in the last blog I don't think any of us wanted to leave... Their has been plenty of talk on both sides about this being a great spot to live. Hmmmm.... are we ready to settle down??? 4 years has been awhile of travelling around and not being in any one spot longer than 4 months.... but then again there are alot more places to check out.... But we definitely will add it to the list! (and think my Dad has as well!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



20th January 2012

Bush Turkey's comments
Just read your informative blog KB & Brett. We did have a wonderful time with you guys in Port MacQuarie and can't wait until next year and a possible visit in another new location. Just Joking. Port Mac was a great place to spend a month and would recommend it for a permanent location in retirement years. Waiting for your next blog.

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb