NIMBIN


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nimbin
June 13th 2011
Published: June 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

NIMBINNIMBINNIMBIN

yep... Welcome to Nimbin folks...
Well... as promised... we are now inland... and I have to say... you cant possibly get much more culturally diverse than going from Noosa to Nimbin...

Where Noosa is sophisticated and stylish... Nimbin is downright dirty and grungy...
Yep... your in Australia's version of Amsterdam... pot heaven for those of you that indulge...

Where as in Amsterdam... pot is legal to sell, purchase and partake of in public... in Nimbin it is not...
Nimbin however... seems to have been conveniently left to its own devices by the powers to be,
with an occassional blitz being the only interference from your local boys in blue...

Nimbins other claim to fame is its renown all over as the country's most famous hippie/alternative destination.
They all arrived in the 70's when Nimbin hosted the 1973 Aquarius festival... and... they never left.

Its a very intriguing, quirky and curious place.
Its not for everyone, but its most certainly worthy of a look in...

The Nimbin Good Times is a free local monthly newspaper filled with lots of interesting articles, stories and interviews... 90% of it is devoted to educating its readers on living a more eco friendly, healthier and sustainable
NIMBINNIMBINNIMBIN

and the official welcome sign...
life...

Such heading titles as:

Go vegan and save the planet... Plant of the Month - Cannibis Sativa... Find your own Sacred space... Generosity, Warrior Woman and Homeopathics...Love bites... Eco-villages in the spotlight...
Oil chief proud not to frack...(that would be Woodside petroleum... good on them)... Eat, plan, love...Stu's view from the loo...Intimimacy, not fusion... (in other words... no co-dependent relationships here... )
Inner Harmony and Self-Nurturing...Centre for Balance and Empowerment... Hemp Bio-Fuel...

You get the picture...

Watch out for the super friendly locals...
You've got a range of hippies, artists, writers, actors, musicians, farmers, environmentals, idealists, permaculture enthusiasts and mainstream society dropouts all living in complete harmony together...
Hey lovey/young laydee... Ya want some ganja today... (thats Sanskrit for weed)
Uhmm... No thanks... I'm just a tourist here to take some photos...
(I found it quite humorous really... If you knew me/met me/saw me walking down the street... you would kind a go... Geez... she's the last person on the planet that would buy weed... )
Ahh... right ya ah love... Ave a great day.....

The localites are very much into sustainability... quite inspiring really to see how committed everyone is.
My last few
NIMBINNIMBINNIMBIN

local hand-made designs...
months in this region has certainly spurred me on to make subtle changes to my life in order to reduce my personal carbon imprint...

To all my fellow travellers, I have endeavoured to capture the town of Nimbin for you via photos...
Its definitely worth your time to pop into for a quick visit... a day trip from Byron will suffice if you do not wish to spend overnite...

Enjoy your excursion... Nic x




Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

local designs...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

local designs...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

local designs...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

the Nimbin museum is definitely a must... quite a curious place...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

thanks Buddha...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

yes... heartily agree... it is so very damaging to our souls and our spirit to be dishonest in any way, shape or form...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

lots of insight to be had...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

most definitely not...
NIMBINNIMBIN
NIMBIN

thanks for the reminder...


13th June 2011

Free the weed!.....singing: "Commerciality belongs to yesterday......"
Hiya Nic,....It looks like a great place to go and get away from the comstraints of Society, but!.....Once I got there I'd eventually want to get back to the husstle and bustle of reality.....x
14th June 2011

Great adventure Nic
I love to see the pictures of Nimbin Nic, very different comparing with other cities - Glad to know you still travell Nic, miss you an dtake care Meithy
17th December 2011

This blog is a 2011 TravelBlog favourite!
Check this out, and feel free to add 2011 TravelBlog favourite anythings, of your own. :) http://www.travelblog.org/Topics/30521-1.html

Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0669s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb