Wally,The Bionic Wonder Dog


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nangus
October 21st 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

As many of Kangaroojack’s followers know, we love the farm at Woodstock and all things to do with it.

I have been working away for the last month, (no names no pack drill), but I had a call from Caroline to tell me Wally (one of the working dogs) had had an accident and he was hurt.

Even though Wally, to Caroline and myself, is a lovely tempered, hardworking, very social collie dog, who always loves his fuss, as a member of the Woodstock team, he is a tool to do a job, as are the tractors, the bailers and other equipment, please don’t get me wrong, he is treated with utmost respect, fed and looked after by Robert and Helen, who love all their dogs, but they are not pets, not really.

Caroline told me that Wally had broken is leg, which is akin to one of the tractors breaking down.

Wally is the best working dog Woodstock have, he is getting on a bit now at 10 years old, he has sired plenty of pups and runs around doing his sheepy stuff as good as they get, when you see him work he is fantastic.
Poor Old WallyPoor Old WallyPoor Old Wally

Now that's a scar


These dogs are bred to work and love it and they just can’t get enough, if one gets on the tray then al, all want to, they love the job they do.

To give you guys a bit of an insight of why Wally is so good, It’s quite simple, it’s his temperament, he doesn’t chase sheep, well he does as part of his job, he doesn’t bite them or stir them up and his nice nature just makes him a dam good working dog and all he asks for in return, is his bowl of dogs nuts, and Caroline will vouch on how good they are, well smell anyway and a friendly pat and fuss from Helen and Robert.

Well Wal’s leg was well and truly broken and there was talk that if it could not be repaired he may lose it, I was mortified.

Helen took Wally to the Vets in Wagga Wagga and the next day he was transferred to the University where his difficult operation was to be carried out.

Helen went to collect him the following day and he seemed OK, back in the doggie Hilton, Trixie had been moved out of Wallies abode to give him a bit of peace and quiet. Helen had also brought him a new elevated bed with a sheep skin rug to make the poor old chap as comfortable as possible while he was recovering.

We bet the Other Dogs, Trixie, Hoover, Toby and Sam must have wondered why Wally was getting the star treatment.

A week went by, and Helen Noticed that Wally was not mending as well as he should have, so took him back to the vets and they said that the operation had not been as successful as they had hoped and would have to operate again. Once again, Wally was left at the vets and he was operated on virtually straight away.

I had asked Helen if she minded me having my birthday weekend at the farm, and she said that would be fine, I have only been home for possibly three weeks in five months, and I hadn’t been the farm for ages and I was really looking forwards to it.

I flew in to Wagga Wagga from where I had been working and it was the most beautiful day and flying over the
Wally is a sookWally is a sookWally is a sook

Helen, giving Wally a cuddle
Riverina it looked absolutely amazing, this was the first time I have ever flown in to Wagga.

Caroline had taken the truck and got to the farm earlier in the day and she and Helen had taken Wally to the vets to have his stiches taken out, but the vet couldn’t find any, so Wally must have taken them out all on his own.

When I met Helen, Caroline and Wally, poor Wal , was hopping around on three legs and he had kept the fourrth leg out of way, but when we all got in the car to go back to the farm, Wally sat in the front footwell with Caroline, until he could sense he was close to the farm, then he got up and wanted to jump in the back with me, so much for his poorly paw.

We are glad to report that he is well on his way to recovery though, the vet is pleased with his progress, but he does have a few months off work ahead of him, but that in itself is difficult, if he was to be let out with the other dogs, he would probably do his
My Birthday MorningMy Birthday MorningMy Birthday Morning

How is this for a morning view at Woodstock
best to go to work with them, so for now he is only allowed out when the other dogs have all gone to work.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Wally,Wally,
Wally,

This is the care you get,when you are part of an important team.


28th October 2012

Wally
Glad to hear that Wally is on the mend. Sure hope all goes well Wondering if you saw my FB photo of our lovely weather. Will post another shortly to see the difference in a couple of days!!! Take care, as always.

Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb