Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Jindabyne
Blogs from Jindabyne
Latest Blogs from Jindabyne
- April 15th 2013 Jindabyne to Bathurst (Kandos)
by Words: 493 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2013 More Aussie fun
by Words: 1815 Photos: 10
- June 18th 2011 Finally Get A Chance To Post, Its A Long One!
by Words: 583 Photos: 0
- April 15th 2011 Snowy Mountains
by Words: 513 Photos: 1
- October 5th 2009 Home among the Gumtrees!
by Words: 1333 Photos: 83
- September 29th 2009 It's Always Snowing Somewhere
by Words: 495 Photos: 10
- April 14th 2009 Rando dans les Snowy Mountains
by Words: 525 Photos: 20
- March 4th 2009 Melbourne to Snowy Mountains
by Words: 303 Photos: 0
- February 2nd 2009 Day 7 - Jindabyne to Dalgety
by Words: 254 Photos: 4
- February 1st 2009 Day 6 - Khancoban to Jindabyne
by Words: 272 Photos: 4
- October 25th 2008 'The Snow'
by Words: 237 Photos: 5
- August 26th 2008 A little bit of snow.....
by Words: 759 Photos: 10
- February 26th 2008 Our Oz bus from Melbourne to Sydney!
by Words: 1421 Photos: 6
- January 22nd 2008 The road to Jindabyne
by Words: 1042 Photos: 11
- January 21st 2008 Week 3 - Young Life Ozzie Style
by Words: 801 Photos: 9
- May 9th 2006 Snowy Mountains 1 - Simpson 0
by Words: 904 Photos: 2
- April 11th 2006 Long Journey
by Words: 214 Photos: 0
- July 5th 2005 A fine day in Jindabyne
by Words: 685 Photos: 2