Vale of Avoca Lookout


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Grose Vale
January 8th 2006
Published: January 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ha & Lorenza at Vale of AvocaHa & Lorenza at Vale of AvocaHa & Lorenza at Vale of Avoca

Ha visited from Vietnam and loved this spot
Over the last month or so we have had a few overseas visitors drop into our place. One of the places we have taken them to in the local area is the Vale of Avoca Lookout at Grose Vale. There is a short fire trail to the lookout, which has been suffering some damage from off road vehicles, so it has now been fenced off near the lookout, where a rough parking area has now been built. Until a few years ago this spot was almost a local secret, but now there are 4WD tour buses taking folks there.

The features of the area around the Vale of Avoca are dry ridge-tops, steep cliff faces and rocky outcrops, with views down into the valley of Burralow Creek, and the large boulder-ridden gorge of the Lower Grose River. Along the creeks are areas of warm temperate rainforest, lined with trees such as Coachwoods, Water Gums and Grey Myrtle. The Vale of Avoca is home to about 400 different varieties of native shrubs and trees, including our favourite Australian tree the Angopora costata (or Sydney Red Gum), which changes colours depending on the light, from pink to red and all shades in between.

The views from the lookout are breathtaking and give any visitor an idea of the rough splendour of the Blue Mountains Wilderness Area. Visitors have to be careful though, because there are no safety fences or man made viewing platforms, it’s a long drop into the valley below!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Mike, Rob, Lorenza & HaMike, Rob, Lorenza & Ha
Mike, Rob, Lorenza & Ha

Mike and Ha dropped in from Vietnam. They visited lots of other folks also and it was great to show Ha around our local area.
Rob, Moeder, Russell & BertRob, Moeder, Russell & Bert
Rob, Moeder, Russell & Bert

Another shot at Vale of Avoca, Bert was visiting with Bianca (not in photo) from the Netherlands
Rob & Russell in the CombiRob & Russell in the Combi
Rob & Russell in the Combi

We ferried Moeder, Bert & Bianca to the Vale of Avoca via Russell's 30 year old VW


Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 34; qc: 144; dbt: 0.1724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb