Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Collaroy
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Collaroy
Latest Blogs from Collaroy
- February 1st 2010 Collaroy Beach
by Words: 1513 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2010 Beach Time!
by Words: 873 Photos: 0
- October 2nd 2009 first enrty
by Words: 246 Photos: 11
- December 3rd 2008 Ozzie Observations.........
by Words: 1194 Photos: 22
- October 31st 2008 First Anniversary and a Happy Halloween!
by Words: 840 Photos: 1
- November 22nd 2007 Australia
by Words: 532 Photos: 0
- May 17th 2007 The mighty Sea Eagles and other Australian adventures
by Words: 501 Photos: 9
- March 3rd 2007 Da var det dax...
by Words: 458 Photos: 4
- December 31st 2006 Happy New Year from Sydney!
by Words: 1166 Photos: 0
- May 21st 2006 Safe and Sound in Sunny Sydney
by Words: 1220 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2006 Ready to go
by Words: 230 Photos: 5
- July 8th 2005 Hold me in your arms...
by Words: 177 Photos: 1