Australian Reptile Park - Gosford


Advertisement
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We recently visited the Australian Reptile Park on the New South Wales Central Coast, not the easiest of places to get to by public transport but we noticed several coaches in the car park so if you do not have your own transport touring companies would be a good place to start. The park is as much as anything an educational venue for families which is rather valuable because many of the visitors live in areas that contain some of the most dangerous snakes and spiders in the world. The park also has many marsupials and birds, some of them are wandering free inside the park and have become quite used to visitors.

The park was established by the late Eric Worrell establishing methods of collecting venom from both poisonous spiders and snakes. The venom was supplied to the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories from 1948, they developed anti-venoms or antivenins and by the early sixties a full range was available to treat most bites, prior to this there was very little hope for anyone bitten by either a snake or a spider. Many people owe their lives to the work of Eric Worrell and the Commonwealth Serum Laboratories, Eric was personally presented with the MBE by Her Majesty the Queen in 1970.

I have recorded the events in the order that they occurred during our travels rather than sorting them into different types.




We start with a view of the entrance to the park. Incidentally you should allow a full day here, there is a presentation every thirty minutes dealing with most dangerous things that you are likely to meet in Australia, useful demonstrations of first aid procedures can be seen several times throughout the day.






The Eastern Water Dragon (Physignathus lesueurii) which usually inhabits fresh water creeks, it will tolerate most humans provided that they do not get too close, if attacked it is likely to dive under water where it is able to hold its breath for up to an hour. Each group of these reptiles is usually led by a single brightly coloured dominant male.





The red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus), likes well vegetated areas near to water, it is fairly placid but its bite can be very dangerous. Most of the time it will retreat but if anyone steps on it or has it cornered they are likely to be bitten. It will usually attempt to first bluff its way out of any situation either by flattening its neck like a cobra or carrying out a few mock strikes,





This kangaroo (Macropus fuliginosus), is one of the species found on Kangaroo Island in South Australia and is probably the slowest moving of all kangaroos probably because it has never had any predators in its natural environment until the introduction of the lethal homo sapiens just over two hundred years ago. A few of this species are retained at this park as a safety measure in the event of disease attacking the main Kangaroo Island population.





These are a mated pair of Cape Baron Geese (Cereopsis novaehollandiae), they have a nest nearby and often when one of them returns the other will jump from the nest and they will kiss each other with the tips of their beaks, they would not co-operate here where they seem to be just thinking about it.







These are probably the most colourful marsupials; they are the Yellow-footed Rock Wallaby (Petrogale xanthopus), due to predation by foxes and competition from goats this species is now listed as vulnerable. Wallabies have a breeding technique of suspending the development of embryos until either an existing young has left the pouch or until other conditions such as climate and availability of food are suitable.





These are the very rare Parma Wallabies (Macropus parma); they were thought to have become extinct around 1900 due to predation by foxes and cats. In 1970, Eric Worrell, the founder of this park, discovered a small wild population on the Central Coast of New South Wales not far away from the park. A small colony had also introduced to Kawau Island off the North Eastern Coast of New Zealand in 1862 by the then Governor, Sir George Grey, he had purchased the island as a private retreat. These Parma Wallabies along with other introduced marsupials including possums were found to be causing considerable ecological damage to the island and a program of eradication was started but first many Parma Wallabies were recovered to take part in the successful breeding program in Australia. It is expected that a viable population will be achieved.





The Common Wombat (Vombatus ursinus). This is a powerful burrowing animal which digs a series of complex tunnels leading to sleeping and other chambers, for safety it usually has several entrances and if pursued by a predator it can use a bony plate in its rump to crush that predator against the roof of the burrow. The female wombat’s pouch is reversed so that it will not fill with soil during burrowing. Its nearest marsupial relative is probably the Koala.







Cassowary (Casuarius casuarius), probably one of the most dangerous birds in the world, the female can be very aggressive and many deaths have been recorded from its very powerful kick, its claws will do a lot of damage to a soft human stomach. The females are much taller and colourful than the males; they also have a much taller “Casque”, the structure on top of their head. The Cassowary’s diet is mainly fruit and some native plant species rely on their digestive system to germinate the seeds.





Everyone knows the Koala (Phascolarctos cinereus) and that it is a marsupial and not a bear. Some documentation will tell you that it gets its name from the Aboriginal word for ‘no drink’ because it gets most of its water from the eucalyptus leaves that it eats, however, many experts including those at this park will tell you that Koalas can normally been seen to have a substantial drink first thing each morning. Apart from the ring tailed possum and a glider they are the only animal that can survive on a eucalyptus leaf diet. It has been suggested that they get withdrawal symptoms if deprived of the eucalypt oil so they could also be considered to be nature’s first drug addict.





This brave lady is milking a Sydney Funnel Web spider (Atrax robustus), considered to be among the most dangerous in the world. It was the work of Eric Worrell and the CSIRO in developing antivenins that has reduced the fatalities to virtually zero. The poison is injected through a couple of fangs which protrude horizontally from the head; to be able to do this the spider has to assume its attack position by standing upright on its hind legs, something that is once seen, never forgotten. The funnel web is fairly common in Eastern and Southern Australia including Tasmania and are often found in Sydney gardens where the most dangerous of them live. If you are unfortunate enough to be bitten by one of these either get to a hospital right away, certainly within two hours or get your affairs in order.






A spiny Leaf Insect also known as Macleay’s Spectre Stick (Extatosoma tiaratum) from the order Phasmids which includes the stick insects. These are very popular with children, they are very safe and easy to look after. They live on gum leaves but you have to make sure that you have a good continuous supply; once they start on a particular variety of leaf they will reject anything else, they also need a good supply of water and plenty of sunlight, they also like to be able to climb. These tend to be well camouflaged in some gum or eucalypt trees, you could see many of these insects sometimes and never even noticing them.





This is the Green or Common Iguana (Iguana iguana) from Central and South America together with a few on some South Pacific Islands. A sizeable population has also been introduced to the Florida Keys. These iguanas can be any colour from dark brown to bright green, this one may be this shade of green due to the artificial lighting.





Another exotic reptile, the Veiled Chameleon (Chamaeleo calyptratus), usually found around Yemen and Saudi Arabia. Apart from other species of chameleons and some rare insects these are thought to be the only creature that can look in two directions at once with their eyes that swivel independently. Their tongues, when extended, are about one and a half times as long as their body, with their superb prismatic vision an insect with range of their very sticky tongue does not stand a chance.





Here we have a Reticulated Python (Python reticulates), probably the only true man eating snake in the world. They have been known to grow to around nine metres, about 30 feet and have been known to go into homes at night when they are hunting for small animals such as chickens or small young domesticated animals, there have been a few cases of them eating children and even very small adults. The skin of these snakes is popular with shoe and handbag manufacturers and an industry has grown up to provide snakes for this purpose, this could ensure their survival as a species.





The Tiger Snake (Notechis scutatus), travellers should have a good look at this snake because it is probably the most toxic and dangerous snake in Australia; it has accounted for more deaths than any other snake, tends to be aggressive and is able to inject a considerable amount of highly toxic venom. They tend to attack if disturbed and is the snake most likely to strike someone’s foot as they walk in the grass, sometimes they will hold their bite until the victim dies..







Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog (Litoria fallax). This is one of those frogs with a vocal sack, in this case bright orange, used to display and make a very loud mating call which is a sort of shriek followed by loud clicking noises. There were many of these frogs in the reptile park, snakes eat frogs, poor frogs.





Central Netted Dragon (Ctenophorus nuchalis), you may have heard of this lizard, it’s the one that communicates with other of its species by waving their hand and bobbing their head. They are able to survive in the central desert of Australia, probably one of the harshest places in the world, they maintain their body at the right temperature by swapping from sun to shade right throughout the day, if it gets too hot they will burrow until they get down to the ideal temperature.





Tasmanian Devil (Sarcophilus harrisii), probably a dozen or more of these animals are kept at the wildlife park as part of a preservation scheme. In their natural habitat of Tasmania they are now subjected to a facial cancer DFTD first discovered in 1996, any devil that catches this disease is unlikely to live much more than six months. The Tasmanian Devil is a very aggressive carnivorous animal and they tend to fight a lot, this spreads the disease; a survey during May 2008 indicated that their numbers in the wild had dropped by 64%!s(MISSING)ince the disease was first discovered. It is expected that all the wild ones will succumb to this disease in time, many Tasmanian Devils are being held in wildlife parks as part of a preservation scheme. At one time the devils were found on the mainland and there are theories that this disease or a similar one could have wiped them out. A venereal disease is similarly attacking Koalas in some areas.





Lowland Copper Head Snake (Austrelaps superbus). Not many humans will see this snake because it prefers to live in boggy swamps eating frogs, lizards and other snakes including smaller ones of its own species. This snake is threatened by swamp drainage and general development of its habitat.





Milking snakes - this is a very important part of any traveller’s visit to this park, here, as well as a demonstration of the collection of venom, first aid advice with demonstrations will be given along with lots of other important information, don’t miss it and listen very carefully. The venom is collected in a small glass, a very thick food wrap, the type used in vegetable shops, is stretched over the top, about 30 Mls was collected here. The collection process has been developed over many years and it is now most unlikely that a collector will suffer an accident. The snake is usually rewarded after making a donation.










Here’s a couple of pure bred Dingos (Australian Native Dog), there are so many taxonomic names for the dingo that the list would be huge, they are a lovely dog but many of those in the wild are no longer pure bred.





A last look at the Cape Baron Geese and the Kangaroos before we leave, this time the geese are kissing each other.





The Common Death Adder (Acanthophis antarcticus), this is another snake that travellers should have a good look, it has a very strong venom and uses an ambush technique to catch prey, it often covers itself with leaves and suchlike so it can be rather dangerous for anyone walking by. Until the introduction of anti-venin 60%!o(MISSING)f bites were fatal.







Dwarf King Brown Snake, I’ll omit the taxonomic names because there seems to be some doubt about the correct one, this snake is from the Kimberleys and is considered to be rare.





I’ll finish off with a picture of the rather rare and beautiful India Star Tortoise. This tortoise is very popular as a pet but can suffer with incorrect feeding, the best thing for them seems to be a variety of grasses which is their natural food, many owners tend to feed them lettuce and even tomatoes which can lead to a premature death. They also need vitamin D3 and Calcium supplements to keep them alive in captivity along with plenty of sunlight.


It is well worthwhile any visitors to Australia and the East Coast in particular paying a visit to this Reptile Park, as well as being entertained for a full day you will gather a lot of useful information that can prove to be valuable in other parts of your travels. The park has a cafeteria but they do not mind if you bring your own food, they even have free gas barbeques; we brought our own vegetarian food then bought tea to wash it down. You can leave things in your car but do remember to get a pass-out from the cashier so that you can return without any further cost.


There are some more travel blogs on the way as soon as we return from a Pacific cruise, meanwhile if you click on the subscribe button to the left we'll send you an e-mail when they are published. The first one will be Iceland, a fascinating country and probably the best holiday that we've ever had.




Advertisement



22nd June 2008

Reptile Park blog
Hello Nigel, what brilliant pictures, so living in Australia you have to have eyes on the ground and about of the trees and all round just like a fugitive ha ha. Regards Doris
22nd June 2008

Thank you Nigel
Thank you Nigel, I so enjoyed that trip around Gosford Reptile Park, I have been before a long time ago. Your photo's and descriptions are wonderful. Bernice
23rd June 2008

Nasties in Oz
Hi Doris, Perhaps we do do that but we don't think about it such a lot, we often spot the funnel webs in the garden but we leave them alone and they don't bother us. We don't get many snakes now because we feed the kookaburras and they eat snakes, the snakes seem to know this so they keep away. A 14ft python used to visit it and I'd get some eggs from the shop for it but we haven't seen it for a few years, it was a black python so we called it Monte Negro which was in the news at the time.
23rd June 2008

brilliant.
Thanks for recall me.its my pleasure to be your fans. it might be impossible for me to go such kind of place you make me possible to see and enjoy these valuable picture. thanks a lot.
23rd June 2008

Great tour -thank you
I really enjoy your travelogs Nigel. First class commentary and excellant photographs every time . Will certainly revisit for another look and learn more about these fasinating creatures, thanks for sharing them with us. Wallace
23rd June 2008

Thanks Likhan, glad you like it, we hope to visit Sydney Wildlife World later this week so might have some more pictures soon then in a few weeks we'll be in Iceland and Europe.
23rd June 2008

Thanks Wallace, glad you enjoyed the pics and notes, you'd certainly enjoy a visit to the park if you are in the area, they seem to be improving it all the time.
27th June 2008

Brilliant!
Super photos Nigel but I had to skim past the sankes very quickly!
28th June 2008

Sankes are OK, honest.
12th July 2009

exellent
I like all the diffrent types of aninals and reptiles. I am 8 years old. thaks I hope it will be around when i am old.
13th July 2009

Thanks Jess, I'm glad that you like the animals at the reptile park, I'm hoping that it will be there for a very very long time. When I was 7 I got my first small camera and had a lot of fun taking pictures of lots of things, I hope you can do the same, I'm sure that you will enjoy it.
11th August 2009

the Australian stick insect
hi ther im from england and would like to get my little brother the Australian stick insect but are they safe the lady im getting hem from says they have wings will they fly and how fast do they bite? nip with pincers i have no ider i just want to no if they are safe for a ten year old that loves bugs i no how to take care of them i just need to no if they are safe insects to play with
28th April 2010

tempreture
my hot end is 42 and cool end is 27 to 30 is that bad please help me. The lizards look happy but i'm just a bit worryied, they seem to be moving all over the place. I have 3 lizards central netted dragons babys about a month old one of them sems to spend more time on the rock at the hot end and the other 2 sems to be on the cold at the top hiding in the fake plant. Thanks
29th April 2010

I don't know much about keeping them at all, I think in NSW it is illegal to collect wild ones.
14th November 2010

IT IS THE BEST PLACE TO GO!!!!!!!!!
when i went thier it was so fun it was the most fun ever you should spend the whole day there all you dont see every thing you should go you should go there you might think it is to expenseive your wrong it might look it but is not to see all the animals and every thing i loved it there IT WAS MAD
14th November 2010

Thanks Willow
Pleased that you had a great time there. For those who do not know they have some kind of demonstration every 30 minutes or so, they give you a list of the times and places to go. There are also staff walking around with some of the small very safe animals so that you can have a good close look at them. The whole day is both entertaining and informative, we've been a couple of times and are likely to go again.
20th January 2011

Reptile park
This makes me want to buy a ticket to Australia! http://www.reptilerevolution.com
14th July 2011

Reptile vivariums
all beautiful pictures i like this Australian Reptile Park thanks for share it
15th July 2011

Thanks
for your kind comments Aditya. We've just been overseas for a month and hope to be publishing some new blogs very soon.
27th July 2011

Reptile supplies
all beautiful pictures, i am very impressed your work Reptile supplies
14th August 2011

Thanks
We've just got back from UK. It's three years since we visited the reptile park, must go again for an update and see what new items they have.

Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb