Byron Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
November 23rd 2012
Published: November 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

This blog is slightly behind as we didn't have access to the internet in certain spots/were not willing to pay some of the ridiculous prices in the hostels for wifi.
Anyway we arrived in Byron Bay and had pre-booked our hostel, The Arts Factory, great hostel we were stayin gin the wreck room so once we had put our bags down we headed to the communal area to meet up with Elizabeth, the french-canadian girl we had previous met in Rainbow Beach and caught a glimpse of in Airlie Beach. We got baked straight way, picking up off a skinny tall long haired blonde guy nammed 'Princess.....'
Later that day we met a french guy named Mathew & a american named Andrew, both lived next to us in the Tallow room, both were absolute stoners, just our kind of people, we chilled a lot with them. Andrew had two bikes and had recently bought a surfboard, his plan was to take one bike apart and make it into a trailer attached to the other bike so that his surfboard could go on it, he planned to cycle from Byron Bay to Sydney!
That night we met up with Elizabeth & her roomate Helena for a few drinks before going into town, Helena wanted to play drinking games therefore everyone got involved and sh*t got messy, Pat & I drank 2 litres of goon each, Helena was in bed by half 10 unable to come out and when we finally got out, Pat managed to make it into one bar and got refused entry from the other, funny but I actually fancied going out properly, so as any night ends we had a pie and a smoke before hitting the hay.
The following day Elizabeth & I went into town for a coffee and to have a look at the shops, which ended up in both of us spending a lot more than what was first anticipated, we headed back to the hostel to see how Pat & Helena were coping with there hangovers....not that well.
That night the four of us wanted to relax so we went into town for dinner (treated ourselves), managing to find a modern pub that served good food with such deals as $10 a meal if you bought a drink, I had these amazing rump steak. As we went to walk back to the hostel from town, we were hit by torrential rain and all of us looked like drowned rats, the problem with the smaller beach towns in Aus is that if it rains there is very little to do so we had a few smokes with our neighbours, and went to sleep at a good time mainly because we were having our first surfing lesson the following day.
When we got up the next day we were praying for for good weather, however we were told that there was actually a storm heading to Byron Bay today, this made our first time on a board very interesting to say the least. We managed to stand up on the boards quite a lot, which surprised us, but we did get wiped out a couple of times, some of the waves were just way too big, even the instructors were telling us which ones to try and ride and which ones to stay well away from.
After a successful but crazy first surf lesson we headed back to the hostel to make dinner over a couple of smokes, where I noticed this small blonde girl that I had previously pointed out to Pat saying that I was sure I knew her from somewhere, this time I approached her and I realised that I had met her previously in the year at a day festival in Bristol, Love Saves The Day, it was this girls birthday on the day and she refused to let me buy her a drink, in turn she actually bought me a drink at the festival, very small world once again. That night we went out with this girl Rhieannon & her friend she had been travelling with, it was a good night although the girls can't handle their drink and didn't want to go to certain bars because of the entry prices, they ended up going home earlier than Pat & myself, which was fine as we were on a session due to the fact it was our last night in Byron Bay, we managed to get really out of hand, and went back to the hostel where we met up with Mathew, Andrew and about 5 of there friends, at this point Rhieannon joined us for a smoke.
That was pretty much our time in Byron Bay, Sydney was our next destination.....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb