Australia - Surf Trip (Syd -> Byron Bay)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
May 6th 2009
Published: May 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Byron Bay a couple of days ago, after our 5 day surf trip. Staying here for another couple of nights, then head up the coast to Surfer's Paridise on Saturday.

The surf trip was awesome, stoped at some amazing beaches up the way and I have definitely caught the surfing bug! We had all our food provided, a few bbqs on the beach and camped out on the last night with the kangeroos. On the second day we got to see dolphins aswell, they were pretty close to where we were surfing, unnervingly so at one point! Fortunately didn't see any sharks, altho on one day a few of us were quite far out and it was getting dark (they feed at dusk and dawn) and Deano (our instructor) came over and to us and said "better get in boys, don't want to be shark bait", still not quite sure if he was joking or not but we got to the beach pretty sharpish! Went to the Scotty Dillon surfing museum one day, he is apparently a surfing legend and is 81 now, there were some pretty cool pictures of stuff he has done in there. By the end of the trip I could stand up pretty much everytime and on the last day Deano took me out to some of the bigger waves, pretty scary seeing a wall of water coming towards you! He let me have a go on his board (instead of the learner boards we usually use) and I managed to catch one wave, then was annilhilated by the next! All good fun tho and I managed to get thru it all injury free.

There is still about 15 or so of us from Oz intro around in Byron at the moment and we are all staying in the same hostel which is pretty cool, altho pretty soon we will begin to split up more. Most of the others are looking for jobs so some will stay in Byron for a bit and some will be moving up the coast at different times. Will be a shame to say bye to everyone, we have got pretty close over the last couple of weeks, but it has to happen at some point. Anyway I think it's time to go to the beach! BYE

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb