Byron Bay has it all


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
September 15th 2008
Published: September 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We've been in Australia for well over a week now, and we're really enjoying it here, especially as the weather is so good, and it's only early Spring! Today it's been mid-20s again, clear blue sky, a bit of wind but we are on the coast after all. Doesn't make sunbathing particularly pleasant though with all the sand swirling around. So we're on the beach/coast at Byron Bay, not far from Brisbane, after a long drive up from Sydney. We had a great time there, especially the couple of days on Bondi Beach. The hotel we stayed in was awesome - a lovely suite with a balcony overlooking the beach. Nice to have a bit of luxury, not that we've really been slumming it too much! While staying there we walked down the coast past several other amazing beaches with waves pounding the surrounding rocks. Places like Bronte Bay and Coogee where we had lunch before heading back to Bondi. Bondi was a little quiet but a very cool place with lovely restaurants and bars, and only 6km from the city centre. The next day (last Wednesday) we headed out to Watson's Bay and then to Manly, two other areas of the city on different parts of the harbour. Both beautiful and great to relax and watch the world go by, and a short ferry from town. We stayed with Jono and Evita again that night.
On Thursday we left Sydney in our rental car and headed for the Blue Mountains, about 100km outside the city. We went for a walk of a few hours along the cliff tops and down below them to where there used to be a coal mine. A nice diversion after a few days in the city, but we shouldn't have stayed, the town which is the base for exploring the area felt very dead and lacking character after Sydney. On Friday we had a long drive to get north up the coast, to Coffs Harbour. We didn't arrive until early evening but it was a little gem of a place - great little bars and the next day we went whale watching and saw the replica of the Endeavour which arrived the same night we did. Whale watching was awesome. We didn't think we get up close to them and after seeing them from afar suddenly they were right next to the boat, circling us inquisitively as everyone tried to get the perfect snap. That was absolutely amazing and a real highlight of the trip no doubt and seeing Cook's old ship was a very lucky coincidence. That afternoon we drove for about 3 hours up the coast to Byron Bay, where we are now. It's a cool little town with a couple of huge beaches, lots of nice restaurants and you can excuse the slightly odd-hippy feel. We arrived just in time for the Tri-Nations decider between Australia and NZ (which the All Blacks won), so we had a few beers in a huge pub with all the Aussies down for the weekend. The last couple of days we've relaxed on the beach a bit, had long breakfasts and generally relaxed. Hard life I know. One more day here and then we head north, to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo, amongst other things!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



23rd September 2008

Amazing trip
What a wonderful trip you have had - We're looking forward to seeing you once you make your way to the US and hearing about all of your favorite places since we have to live vicariously through you!

Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0738s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb