35From SA to NSW 21 May


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Broken Hill
May 22nd 2012
Published: May 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ring necked parrotRing necked parrotRing necked parrot

Another colourful bird
After Hawker, we moved south to Peterborough, which is about 250km north of Adelaide. It is absolutely a town created by a railway. South Australia originally established its rail in 1856 on what was known as broad gauge (5’3”). When the area inland was opened up, to save money they used a narrow gauge (3’6”). When the transcontinental rail arrived from NSW, it used a standard gauge (4’8½”). All these met at Peterborough so engineering works were established to service trains of all three gauges.

To make things even more complicated the transshipment point from broad to narrow gauge was set up 20km south at Terowie. At this point every passenger, luggage, freight, livestock, etc had to be unloaded and reloaded onto a new train to accommodate the change of gauge.

After 1883 when silver and lead was discovered at Broken Hill, the ore was shipped to Port Pirie just north of Adelaide. In the process, it all had to unloaded and reloaded at Terowie. This lasted until 1970 when the broad gauge line was extended to Peterborough and the town closed. It has gone from about 2,000 people (mainly labourers on the transshipments) to less than 100. There
On the roadOn the roadOn the road

Flinders Ranges ... somewhere.
are lots of stone buildings and residential houses still there, but the school has just closed (and is for sale) and so has the last pub. A church has sold for $500. Elsewhere in the town there are 4 churches in a row – all closed.

Terowie’s only other claim to fame is that after Gen Douglas Macarthur was ordered out of the Philippines to avoid capture by the Japanese, he flew via Darwin to Alice Springs and refused to fly further. So he came to Terowie to change trains for Adelaide and this is where he uttered his famous remark: “I came out of Bataan and I shall return.” Probably a good trivial pursuit question for an American!

Peterborough also has lost its rail with all trains now being standard gauge, so not much stops there anymore. But they have built a great railway museum and sound and light show in the old workshops and turntable. Well worth the visit.

Saturday 19th was interstate day as we drove to Broken Hill. However Broken Hill is only just over 500km from Adelaide compared with 1,150km to Sydney, and we are still in SA’s time zone, so it
Tree & bicycleTree & bicycleTree & bicycle

Near Wilpena Pound
doesn’t feel like NSW very much. Now we are back inland, the temperatures are much more even, the range being from 5 or 6deg to about 20 with cloudless days. Quite tolerable.

We kept driving on Sunday and went to the Menindee Lakes and back, about 120km south of “the Hill” on the Darling River. It was a surprise to see quite extensive lakes (with water) as we have been in very dry land since leaving Esperance in WA in March. The lake levels are controlled to limit the amount of water going down to the Murray. The area has many good lakes, which have lots of great (free) lakeside camping sites.

We were looking at a large derelict woolshed and met a policeman who was in the “Stock Squad” His beat covers 200,000 sq km, and he concentrates on sheep and cattle stealing. We had a good chat about modern day rustling, etc.

Golf was on the menu today at the Broken Hill Golf Club. It was nice to play on grass greens and mown fairways. 6,200m for the boy and 5,000m for the girl.

Broken Hill reminds us a lot of Kalgoorlie, but not quite as special. In Broken Hill, there are several iconic old buildings, but there are lots of drab old and new ones as well. The Hill’s quirk is that a lot of the original streets are named after metals, such as Argent, Cobalt, Chloride, etc.

Scroll down past the ads, etc for more photos.

PandD
21 May 2012


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Wilpena PoundWilpena Pound
Wilpena Pound

Don and a local talking
Flinders RangesFlinders Ranges
Flinders Ranges

Tree colours
Peterborough pubPeterborough pub
Peterborough pub

Note the weather
Sound & LightSound & Light
Sound & Light

The trains
Sound & LightSound & Light
Sound & Light

The carriages
TerowieTerowie
Terowie

Ghost town
Ghost townGhost town
Ghost town

For sale cheap?
Lost dreamLost dream
Lost dream

On the road east
MenindeeMenindee
Menindee

Old woolshed 1970
LookoutLookout
Lookout

Down to size at Broken Hill


22nd May 2012

Great pics and commentary.
Hi Pattie and Don, we continue to enjoy your travel log and photos. Just love the photo of Don chatting to the roo and are wondering if too much red wine stunted your growth-in the last photo!! Keep up the great work and safe traveling:)
23rd May 2012

Another great story
Loving the Peterborough sky! Just like home ;-) Just looking at you in the bench seat Don. Do you think you've got some growing to do? Something in the water?
23rd May 2012

lookout
Don, I heard we shrink with age - but that is ridiculous! Have a Rum, it might help with the pain......
28th May 2012

Fantastic photos. So looking forward to going there and everywhere.When are you planning on coming back?

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0631s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb