Canberra


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

This is the first time I have had access to internet (that worked) so I apologize! We have done a lot, but I will try to keep it brief.

Our first day we toured the Olympic Park Grounds and Telstra Stadium. It was a good frist day, the pool was very refreshing. On our second day we had a group photo in front of the Sydney Opera house and Harbour Bridge, then went to an opal museum. (If anyone doesn't like their gift, just let me know and I am sure any one of the leaders would love to take it off your hands!). We also had a Harbour cruise and tour of the Opera house. The Opera house was quite different then anyone expected. They have hosted events like sumo wrestling, boxing, opera, concerts, plays, and the symphony, to name a few. There are 5 stages and over 1,000 rooms. The Opera house was 10 years over planned construction and $74 million over budget. The debt was paid off in 18 months because they set up a special Opera House lottery system. (What the US couldn't learn from other countries!) The designer left when he ran out of money and the project was put on hold. He has never seen the finished product in person! He is now helping redesign some of the theaters, but will probably never see the building. He is 88 years old and does not want all the press that would surround his visit.

The next day we toured the Hyde Park Barracks and learned about the convicts and how they came to Australia. (The convicts all built and lived in these barracks, which would be like a prison or work camp). Basically, the English lost some land to the US and had nowhere to keep their convicts. They tried to send them to Canada, but they just went to NYC and got on a ship back to England. Eventually, they figured Australia was the place to send them. So, part of the reason that the Australian accent is different from the Enlgish accent is because the convicts that came over here didn't speak proper English and used a lot of slang which has stuck.

Yesterday, we had our Full On Experience. This is always a favorite for the students. Everyone got to do the zip line and one other physical challenge. I have to say that everyone did amazing! The zip line is the longest and highest in Australia, and I think everyone did it! They also had the opportunity to do a vertical challenge (climbing a suspended ladder in pairs) and the leap of faith. The leap of faith, which had a lot of us shaking and looking for encouragement, invloved climbing up a tree and then jumping to a trapeze bar suspended a few feet up and away from the tree. I think the majortiy of students did that as well!

We are now in Canberra and visited the Old Parliament house. Tomorrow we go to the Australian War Memorial Museum and then fly to Darwin which will bring us warmer weather. Sydney was about 70 during the day, but Canberra is about 50, so a little colder. I am sure everyone is looking forward to warmer weather and time at the beach. I will try to write more later!





Advertisement



30th July 2006

Thanks Nichole
Hey Nichole, Thanks for the wonderful update!! Sounds awesome!! I figured you weren't able to have internet access to be able to blog. Hug Liz and the kids for me.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb