Coming home - via Cologne, London & Sydney


Advertisement
Published: January 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The home stretch was in sight as we left Berlin. We spent two days in Cologne, in western Germany, enjoying non-backpacker-like luxury in a hotel overlooking the Rhine - other highlights of Cologne were the great food in the local breweries and the surprising number of professional beggars crowding the entry to the local cathedral.

We then flew to London for a few days and finished off some essentials before heading back to Sydney - the National Gallery in London was well worth a look and a day trip to Oxford (didn't meet the romanticised image that I had in my mind), Stratford upon Avon (Shakespeare's home town, and Warwick Castle (where we played medieval aristocrats and militia for a few hours). Otherwise, it was comforting to get back to London for straightforward pub food and beer.

Following a 24 hour flight, we emerged in Sydney to be struck by extraordinary humidity - this will take some getting used to. While we've learnt a lot on our trip and had great times, I think we're both ready for home and the more typical things in life. Now, it's back to work.....! Over and out.

NM

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb