28 Photos - Mermaids, Brian Playing the Suitcase, Bongo Man on Kazoo & More!


Advertisement
North America
February 17th 2013
Published: February 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The Mermaid's GalaThe Mermaid's GalaThe Mermaid's Gala

Mermaids and Pirates gathered to raise funds for breast cancer research. At one point they tossed sprigs of rosemary - for remembrance - into the bay!
Since this is about our 10th time in Pine Island, I am trying not to bore blog readers with old topics so here goes with what's new on Pine Island and vicinity. The photos should speak for themselves. I have been getting some feedback that readers like to know details like "How much did it cost?" So I am trying to remember to add fees for attractions. We're here at the KOA / Encore during the high season. The daily rate is about $70 for full hook up, great activities (dinners and music in the club house, trips, etc.), wonderful pool, lending library, store (with a gift shop and modest selection of wines), health club, laundry and newly installed hot tub. There are cabins for rent and we do notice some people "tenting" out in the back. We are within a few miles of fun restaurants; many with live music! There are tennis courts and a great off road bike path that spans the length of this flat island.







Through the activities office at the KOA (Thank You, Sandi), we enjoyed a Dolphin Cruise to North Captiva, Cayo Costa, Useppa and environs leaving from
Barefoot Boys Brian and CharlieBarefoot Boys Brian and CharlieBarefoot Boys Brian and Charlie

Two former Yard Doggers played at the Three Fishermen in North Fort Myers along the Caloosahatchee River. Brian's "suitcase" is an instrument with thumb keys of his own invention. He wears a glove to play it; neither musician favors shoes!
a Marina at the end of Maria Drive off Stringfellow Road. The total cost, including transportation to the boat and margarita's at a resort in North Captiva, was $22 each. Great value. Very well informed Captain, total crew of three, free iced water bottles, great wildlife viewing (but the dolphins were a little shy this day).





We paid $7 for transportation (KOA's red bus) to Lover's Key which is a bit south of Fort Myers Beach. It's a lovely, wild state park. Nice amenities at the beach including a snack bar and clean restrooms (accessible by ramp or stairs). A free tram took us from the parking lot to the beach. It was a Saturday and the driver avoided Fort Myers Beach in getting to Lover's Key as the cars on the bridge access to the beach were in gridlock. We did return via FM Beach. It's a rockin town - probably even more so next week when tons of families with kids on their Presidents' Week break descend.



I paid $5 for a shopping trip with Shirley to several area thrift stores. We used the red KOA bus and had fun
Friends at Three FishermenFriends at Three FishermenFriends at Three Fishermen

Such a fun time with neighbors from home, Bill and Kathy Ross, and two musicians from the former Yard Dogs band. Bill, Brian, Charlie, Kathy & Wes! We sat on the deck overlooking the Caloosahatchee River!
shopping under Shirley's guidance. It's such a fun way to spiff up the wardrobe. One sad thing, I bought a neon palm tree for $25 at "Sal's Place" (AKA Salvation Army) but it broke on the bus on the way home - broken neon tubes are not repairable! I would like to find a replacement; but being so fragile; the RV isn't probably a good home for neon art!







We can't say enough about the friendliness of our neighbors. It's a nice balance of being neighborly but not overly so. You can easily find someone to chat with in the pool or at breakfast; or seek your solitude and hide in a book if that's your preference. We had a bit of car trouble while we were here and one of our neighbors loaned us her car! Now THAT'S friendly! Our stay is nearly up; but we'll be back!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Gator Moon at The Fish HouseGator Moon at The Fish House
Gator Moon at The Fish House

The bongo player also plays the kazoo! Lots of fun with the band.
Hello GuvHello Guv
Hello Guv

The only home on Useppa without hurricane shutters ... guess if the glass is bulletproof; it must be windproof! Important --- our captain didn't point the Governor's winter get-away out to us - we just intuited it's location.
A Folk Group Entertaining Outside the Art ShowA Folk Group Entertaining Outside the Art Show
A Folk Group Entertaining Outside the Art Show

The Pine Island Art Association's two day member show was grand; but photos were not allowed. We bought two mini prints and loved looking at the work. As would be predicted, most of the subject matter was tropical - heavy on birds, botanicals, boats, fish & sunsets! Perfect if you have a home here - we find that for the most part it is hard to live with up north!
No Cars AllowedNo Cars Allowed
No Cars Allowed

Golf Carts are the mode of transportation du jour on Captiva and Useppa!
Cayo Costa Manatee HoleCayo Costa Manatee Hole
Cayo Costa Manatee Hole

The captain of our dolphin cruise brought us into this lagoon on Cayo Costa where we saw quite a few manatees! The kayakers may have rented their crafts on the island at Cayo Costa State Park.
Cayo Costa SandbarCayo Costa Sandbar
Cayo Costa Sandbar

One of the things we would do if we had a boat here is Florida would be beach it on a sand bar like this one near Cayo Costa! Miss having a boat!
Fish  House ClusterFish  House Cluster
Fish House Cluster

This cluster of houses built on pilings in the middle of Pine Island Sound were the homesteads of fishing families. The children were picked up for school by boats that delivered ice and took the day's catch to market. A small "key" near the cluster provided a place for the children to play on the beach!
Sugar Sand Beach RV Resort and the New BridgeSugar Sand Beach RV Resort and the New Bridge
Sugar Sand Beach RV Resort and the New Bridge

We "discovered" a new RV park nearer to the galleries, restaurants, and boutiques of Matlacha! No pool, but right on the water and kayaks are free to guests! Pets are allowed and a club house is being finished!
Sugar Sand Beach RV ResortSugar Sand Beach RV Resort
Sugar Sand Beach RV Resort

A fire pit and a splendid view!
PI KOA lakePI KOA lake
PI KOA lake

Many campsites at the Pine Island KOA/Encore Resort are around the lakes!
Pretty Harbor North Captiva Pretty Harbor North Captiva
Pretty Harbor North Captiva

Pirates used to hide their captives in these islands - ergo "Captiva!"
Windmill & Solar PanelsWindmill & Solar Panels
Windmill & Solar Panels

This captain and his first mate know their energy!
Cabbage KeyCabbage Key
Cabbage Key

We had been to this island where Jimmy Buffet is said to have based his "Cheeseburgers in Paradise" on another trip; this time we sailed on by!
Lovers Key BeachLovers Key Beach
Lovers Key Beach

Florida's State Parks are Wonderful!
Useppa for LunchUseppa for Lunch
Useppa for Lunch

Useppa is very exclusive; but the Captain of this boat happens to be a member and can bring guests for lunch!
Blow DownBlow Down
Blow Down

Love wild sea/landscapes like this blow down on Cayo Costa. People can camp here.
Old Florida BokeeliaOld Florida Bokeelia
Old Florida Bokeelia

This old style island home with screened porch, gorgeous view (facing west on Pine Island Bay), within walking distance to the best restaurant on the island (Tarpon Lodge) and spacious landscaping would be an ideal get away!


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb