Day 3: Weatherford, TX to Artesia, NM


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 3rd 2012
Published: May 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 3


Day 3: After fueling up at WM, we got off at about 8:30. Drove about 9 hours to Artesia, NM. Checked into a nice campground that appears to be filled mostly with oil field workers. I bet we saw hundreds of oil well pumps, they were everywhere in NM and as far as the eye could see. Saw several hundred really tall wind turbines south and west of Sweetwater, TX. At one stop at a rest area, Gena took Milo for a walk and returned with Milo coated with sand spurs. Took about twenty minutes to pick them off of him - - fortunately they were NOT as hard as the ones we have in FL near the salt water. Temperatures in the 90's prompted us to stop at a DQ for some ice cream. We took advantage of a closed gas station's Canopy over the pumps to raise the top of the HiLo so we could have lunch at the dinette in side - - reasonably comfortable despite the 90 degree heat. Had stiff crosswinds until about 1 pm when the wind got around into our faces. Saw several dozen "dust devils" - - I guess caused by the stiff breeze, the heat and the dry conditions. I Have never seen so many in one day! The high winds didn't help the mileage at all! Total miles today: 423.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb