Fancy Gap. VA to Lake Norman (Charlotte), NC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 19th 2010
Published: October 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Flat Stanley in the RVFlat Stanley in the RVFlat Stanley in the RV

The "cock pit" is set up for my office. Great way to maximize time on the road!
Our 2010-2011 "Trek South" has begun.

Ballston Lake to Fancy Gap to Jekyll Island and eventually to south western Florida. We'll fly home for Holidays and return in February.

Our first “stop” on the 2010-2011 trek south was Americana icon, Fancy Gap, VA. To re-cap, day one had us southbound on I-88 and through Pennsylvania, on day two we went through a tiny slice-of Maryland and a little chunk of West Virginia. The drive through Virginia was beautiful - next time, we might try Route 11, which parallels the interstate and might offer more "local color."

Except for Fancy Gap we were doing “non stop,” long driving days. made more intense and tiring for Wes, the driver beautifully handling the 34’ motor home with a Jeep in tow. It was more of a breeze for me, the navigator, who got to catch up with client work and clean out files on my lap top. We dry camped behind a Cracker Barrel restaurant. Cracker Barrels parking lots have “pull thrus,” are well-lighted, allow over night “camping,” and are always conveniently close to interstate highways. This is a time when we make an exception to the "no chains" rule. You can order breakfast all day long!


Luckily there was some sun as we rolled into Fancy Gap near the Blue Ridge Parkway. But even in the rain, with smoky clouds hindering the view, Fancy Gap is breathtaking. Fancy Gap is a perfect name for this homey and beautiful spot near the Virginia/North Caroling border. We’ve “camped” at the Fancy Gap KOA before. All the amenities are covered, even cable TV and Wi Fi! This is camping! Home cooked food at the nearby Lake View Diner. No lake, no view, but delish, homestyle food with friendly, fun service. For example this exchange between Wes and our server: “Do you serve wine or beer?” “Sorry, sir, it’s a dry county.” “I’ll have an ice tea, please.” “Would you like that shaken or stirred?”

Next, we will visit the North Carolina DeVoes.

Flat Stanley is traveling with us as part of a project for one of Beth’s students.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The Mill - Blue Ridge HighwayThe Mill - Blue Ridge Highway
The Mill - Blue Ridge Highway

This photo is from a few years ago in late November going north on the Blue Ridge from Fancy Gap. We intended to go south on the parkway this year, but the rain got in the way. Hope to spend two full days up here in the fall of 2011.
Wes at the WheelWes at the Wheel
Wes at the Wheel

We're trying to give Flat Stanley a variety of experiences.
Flat StanleyFlat Stanley
Flat Stanley

Flat Stanley, from the children's book, is traveling with us on behalf of a third grader in Vermont!


27th October 2010

Out and About Again
It sounds like you are having a great time once again.. We are getting ready for Halloween and enjoying our new dog Joshua.. The boats are put to sleep and we await the holiday and winter preparations.. We will be in Wardsboro once again and hope you might join us.. We will be going to Florida the first couple of weeks in April.. perhaps we will see you then?? Keep in touch and have fun..love Paula
27th October 2010

On the road again
Nice to see the blog again. We were on the same slice of Maryland-West Virgina a couple weeks ago when we went to South Carolina. (We took highway 17 east to Fredricksburg then I95). Have a great trip. Mark and Jean
28th October 2010

Wes & Joanne say Hi
Nice to hear from you - it is a big, beautiful country and life is good!
28th October 2010

from wes and joanne
Nice to hear from you - it is a big, beautiful country and life is good!
29th October 2010

Wow
We are envious! Have fun with Flat Stanley.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb