Fort Laramie


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
July 29th 2008
Published: August 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Fort Laramie


Fort LaramieFort LaramieFort Laramie

A national historic site.


After staying the night in a place called Newcastle, we headed off to "Fort Laramie".

This military post, was founded in 1849 when the army purchased the old Fort John for $4000, and began to build a military outpost along the Oregon Trail.

Having seen the fort on numerous westerns, I was suprised to find that it was and always was an open fort.

(The popular view of a western fort, generated by Hollywood movies, is that of an enclosure surrounded by a wall or stockade. Fort Laramie, was never enclosed by a wall. Initial plans for the fort included a wooden fence or a thick structure of rubble, nine feet high, that enclosed an area 550 feet by 650 feet. Because of the high costs involved, the wall was never built. Fort Laramie was always an open fort that depended upon its location and its garrison of troops for security.)

Now for the history bit.....

For many years, the Plains Indians and the travelers along the Oregon Trail had coexisted peacefuly. As the numbers of emigrants increased, however, tensions between the two cultures began to develop. To help insure the safety of the
1875 - The Military Bridge..1875 - The Military Bridge..1875 - The Military Bridge..

Built by the military, over the North Platte River. The first iron bridge in Wyoming...
travelers, Congress approved the establishment of forts along the Oregon Trail and a special regiment of Mounted Riflemen to man them. Fort Laramie was the second of these forts to be established.

In the 1850s, one of the main functions of the troops stationed at the fort was patrolling and maintaining the security of a lengthy stretch of the Oregon Trail. This was a difficult task because of the small size of the garrison and the vast distances involved. In 1851, The Treaty of 1851, was signed between the United States and the most important tribes of the Plains Indians. The peace that it inaugurated, lasted only three years. In 1854, an incident involving a passing wagon train precipitated the Grattan Fight in which an officer, an interpreter, and 29 soldiers from Fort Laramie were killed. This incident was one of several that ignited the flames of a conflict between the United States and the Plains Indians that would not be resolved until the end of the 1870s.


Lots to see here.
Some of the remaining structures have been restored.

Also great to see it manned by people dressed in character, who were ready to give
Fort LaramieFort LaramieFort Laramie

And Skims posing well again....
you the info on what you were seeing.


We then checked out Cheyenne, before heading to Laramie City to spend the night.
Following morning we headed back to Fort Collins for a fantasic goodbye BBQ, that our family had arranged for us.

Thanks again Anne and Bill, it was an excellent night.


Now watch out Canada, cos' here we come.............












Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Inside the barracks.Inside the barracks.
Inside the barracks.

Set out behind glass, as to how it once was...
The MessThe Mess
The Mess

Again behind glass....
The StoreThe Store
The Store

This is where people came to trade and buy their goods. We were assured that the likes of, Buffalo Bill and Annie Oakly had stood where I'm standing.
"Old Bedlam""Old Bedlam"
"Old Bedlam"

The oldest standing building in Wyoming. The officers quarters. Now restored to it's former glory....
Built in 1849 - Old BedlamBuilt in 1849 - Old Bedlam
Built in 1849 - Old Bedlam

Nicknamed "Old Bedlam", because of the boisterous behavior of the bachelor officers.
Dec 25, 1866 - John PhillipsDec 25, 1866 - John Phillips
Dec 25, 1866 - John Phillips

Finished his 236 mile ride to obtain troops from here, after the Fetterman Massacre.
The PrisonThe Prison
The Prison

And the door into solitary
Inside the guard house.Inside the guard house.
Inside the guard house.

With a resident guard, who was only too willing to tell us how things used to be...
First time we have seen one of these in the flesh...First time we have seen one of these in the flesh...
First time we have seen one of these in the flesh...

An 1876 Gatling gun preserved at Fort Laramie National Historic Site....
The remains of the "Latrine".The remains of the "Latrine".
The remains of the "Latrine".

Yes they had one! However, it did runoff into the stream, which they then used for their drinking water...
And the soldiers bar-room.And the soldiers bar-room.
And the soldiers bar-room.

We did make use of this...
The BarThe Bar
The Bar

Complete with, friendly barman.
First bottleFirst bottle
First bottle

Going down real smooth...
Rawhide ButtesRawhide Buttes
Rawhide Buttes

I kinda favor the "skinned alive" story...
Albany County FairgroundsAlbany County Fairgrounds
Albany County Fairgrounds

Shall we hang around for the pig wrestling???
The Way of the CrossThe Way of the Cross
The Way of the Cross

At St Walburga.


25th November 2012
Dec 25, 1866 - John Phillips

Fort Phil Kearney Massacre
I read the book- My army life and the Fort Phil Kearney Massacre by Frances C. Carrington a Diary of her military life on the plains. John Phillips name was mentioned a few times and his act of heroism in saving the lives of those at the Fort. To see this photo makes me reflect back on my reading this book and it feels good to see thia man's name is credited to our countries histoy....Thanks

Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb