Hot Water Going Up, Cold Water Coming Down


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left camp around 8:15 and drove to West Thumb, where we strolled the geyser basin there. The plumes of steam rising from the geysers looked interesting against the blue of the lake beyond them.

From West Thumb we headed west toward Old Faithful, stopping first at Kepler Cascades after crossing the continental divide twice. We watched Old Faithful blow and then walked some of the paths around the Upper Geyser Basin, which includes Old Faithful.

After that we walked through Black Sand Basin with its brightly colored hot springs, then headed for Middle Geyser Basin to see Grand Prismatic Spring, a hot spring with very vivid colors. Even the steam rising from the springs was colored. We then drove Firehole Lake Drive. We skipped the Lower Geyser Basin, as we were all getting tired, and opted instead to drive down Firehole Canyon to see Firehole Falls and cascades.

Between Madison and Norris was road construction with some delays. We saw two large bull elk with antlers 6’ across. They were grazing near the road, which caused a wildlife jam.

When we got to Canyon Village, we decided we needed ice cream. It was a hot day
Kepler CascadesKepler CascadesKepler Cascades

Yellowstone
and ice cream hit the spot. Kerry and I ate ours while standing in line to pay for them. Back at camp we sat outside and relaxed before supper. Kerry grilled bison burgers, which were quite good. After supper we drove back to Fishing Bridge for showers.

There is a pall of smoke over the campground and drifting across the road to the lake from all the campfires.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Old FaithfulOld Faithful
Old Faithful

Yellowstone
Grand Prismatic springGrand Prismatic spring
Grand Prismatic spring

middle geyser basin, Yellowstone
Firehole FallsFirehole Falls
Firehole Falls

along Firehole Canyon Rd, Yellowstone
Bull ElkBull Elk
Bull Elk

his rack was 6' across


1st July 2010
Old Faithful

good timing Charlie, it's beautiful, did you have to wait long?
1st July 2010
Bull Elk

6 feet? wonder how he held his head up
1st July 2010
Grand Prismatic spring

unbelievable colors

Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1907s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb