Jellystone - In search of Yogi Bear!!!


Advertisement
Published: July 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Yellowstone


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Highlights of Yellowstone National Park 300 secs
Here we are...Here we are...Here we are...

Yogi bear country...




Having grown up watching the cartoon "Yogi Bear" in Jellystone.

We'd wanted to visit "Yellowstone", the place that Jellystone was based on.

The bears were the main attraction for us, with fingers crossed you paid a visit.
"Watch out Yogi here we come!!!"

There was so much to see in this park, wildlife, fantasic views and an abundance of geothermal features.
We'd already seen a lot of thermal activity in New Zealand and we were well impressed.
But we were absolutely gob smacked, as to how much there was to see there.


(The world's first national park, President Ulysses S. Grant signed into law the bill to create Yellowstone National Park in 1872.
Located in the northwest corner of Wyoming, Yellowstone is a true American wilderness - 97 percent of the park's 3,400 square miles (2.2 million acres) remains pristinely undeveloped.
While Old Faithful, the most widely recognized geyser, serves as the park's signature steam, there are more than 10,000 other geothermal features, including geysers, hot springs, mudpots and fumaroles. In recent years some geysers which had been dormant began spouting off again. The Yellowstone River drops over 400 feet in two
Snake River...Snake River...Snake River...

Rising in the mountains along the continental divide, the Snake River merges with the Lewis River at the South entrance to Yellowstone.
waterfalls cutting a grand canyon deep into the golden-hued rock that gives the park its name.)



It was great to be able to tick off our list, another one of our "to do's".

Our quest was to see a bear in the wild, which we hadn't yet seen.

And guess what?

WE DID!!!

How happy are we?

If there is only ever one National Park you do in America, be sure it's this one.
You won't be dissapointed it has everything!!!





Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Lewis Falls..Lewis Falls..
Lewis Falls..

The 30 foot falls are easily visible from the bridge crossing the Lewis River.
Lewis River...Lewis River...
Lewis River...

Just love the way it snakes around the plains...
Isa Lake...Isa Lake...
Isa Lake...

This lake feeds the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific ocean...
Old Faithful...Old Faithful...
Old Faithful...

Just a bit of steam at the mo', but we are waiting....
There she blows...There she blows...
There she blows...

Watch the video to see Old Faithful in action...
Turquoise PoolTurquoise Pool
Turquoise Pool

The 1878 Hayden Expedition named this pool for its milky, white bottom and gem-like, blue-colored water.
Excelsior Geyser...Excelsior Geyser...
Excelsior Geyser...

In the 1880s this geyser erupted in bursts of 50 to 300 feet high.
Strange paterns..Strange paterns..
Strange paterns..

they look like they could be from another world...
Grand Prismatic Spring..Grand Prismatic Spring..
Grand Prismatic Spring..

This is the largest and one of the most colourful of Yellowstones hot springs...
Great reflections...Great reflections...
Great reflections...

The spring pours almost 500 gallons of hot water each minute into the Firehole river...
Firehole River...Firehole River...
Firehole River...

Plenty of white water...
Firehole falls..Firehole falls..
Firehole falls..

This waterfall is smaller than many of the others in Yellowstone, but it is still interesting.
So you missed the Chipmonk..So you missed the Chipmonk..
So you missed the Chipmonk..

And I will have to stand in for it...
Norris Geyser Basin...Norris Geyser Basin...
Norris Geyser Basin...

This is the hottest and most changeable thermal area in Yellowstone...
Steamboat Geyser...Steamboat Geyser...
Steamboat Geyser...

Steamboat's major eruptions occur four days to 50 years apart. So we didn't wait...
Lower Falls..Lower Falls..
Lower Falls..

From Artist point...
Yellowstone River...Yellowstone River...
Yellowstone River...

On its way to the Pacific Ocean...


2nd August 2008

Pics
Some beautiful Pics there, and that sunset is something else! looks like the sky is on fire. Well hols nearly over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6th August 2008

you look like you have had an amazing time but dad are you gonna cut your hair before you come home!!!!! Can't wait to see you both xxx

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 100; dbt: 0.1283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb