Montana-Wyoming 2011 - Tetons (Day 2)


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We did not attempt to arise ery early since we knew we would have plenty of time to see the greatest part of the park. We started just a couple of miles south of Jackson Lake Lodge at Lake Jackson Dam, taking pictures of the tremendous water flow through the dam spillway and of the Tetons reflected in the still lake. we then worked our way southward, stopping at every byway and turnout we could find, traveling along the slower low road. It is difficult to describe the experience of the Tetons. At every stop, you are presented with another view that can make even the most recognizable peaks unrecognizable. The glacial valley through which you drive is flat but curiously terraced away from th river, reflecting the height of the river at various stages in geologic history. The valley is dotted with "kettles", large glacial depressions now either dry or filled with shallow ponds. There are still historic relics from the days of real ranching and dude ranching, as well as a few private homes that still exist on inholdings.

Near the end of our day of touring, we visited the new Craig Thomas Visitor Center which Jan's son had helped design, then returned to jackson Lake Lodge and dinner, with a glorious sunset in front of us.

THe experience of the Tetons is grand, and I feel that I should find a way to put up more words, but I will let the land speak for itself through pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Jennie, Buddy at dinner in Mural RoomJennie, Buddy at dinner in Mural Room
Jennie, Buddy at dinner in Mural Room

For Oklahomans, note the fleece required


30th July 2011

Beautiful! WIsh we were there.
30th July 2011

Us too!

Tot: 0.367s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1136s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb