Altitude and turns


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Gillette
June 15th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Ennis, MT about 0630 this morning, and the temp was below freezing, but the sun was up, and we had our cold wx gear. Another great day. I took 344 pictures today alone. We got to Yellowstone in about an hour, and spent 2 ½ hours doing the grand loop and going to the Northeast exit. We had a 5 min delay for bison in the road, but other than that, no traffic issues. We have had just about all the roads this trip to ourselves. Too early for the tourist season I guess. The northeast exit via the road to the Roosevelt Lodge reaches in excess of 8000’, and zigzags up the mountains to get there. After exiting there, we got on 296, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway. A great road through various terrains. It also has a great and challenging mountain pass to cross. Its highest elevation is in excess of 9000’ We were glad we had the cold wx gear on for both. We followed 14 through the high plains, and through the Big Horn Nat’l Forest, reaching in excess of 8000’ again, and the only way over is back and forth. I would say that both Chf Joseph and 14 rival Beartooth. We are in Gillette, WY tonight, and headed to Devils Tower, and Sturigs SD tomorrow, and on towards Milwaukee. The sights to see seem to be getting further between each other now, especially after a few days that it was constant.

The gasoline out here is great; it doesn’t have ethanol, so we are getting great mileage. I saw 298 miles remaining after a fill up today. Back in IL I don’t think I’ve seen greater than 240.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb