Custer's Battle Field and Devils Tower


Advertisement
Published: September 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We rounded up the group and headed off to Custer's Battlefield at Big Horn Mountain. Ed is a history buff and a wonderful tour guide. We started our "tour" by walking the battlefield down to the ravine. There are headstones placed along the field where the remains were found for the Soldiers and the Indians. The soldiers headstones are white and the Indians are red. It is interesting to see how the battle unfolded. There was a large Indian Encampment, approximately 5000, just over the ridge, beyond the ravine. As you walk down into the valley to the ravine you visualize the challenges that Custer's troop faced. There are small hills and mounds that entirely block your field of vision, or make it easy for you to disappear. The Indian warriors knew this land. They outnumbered and outmaneuvered Custer's troops. It is a very different experience to walk the battlefield and visualize the battle.

Later that afternoon we arrived at Devil's Tower National Park. Devil's Tower is famous from the ET movie. It was a perfect day and not many people. On the way out we had to stop to see the Prairie dogs, they really liked Jack 😊



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Little Big HornLittle Big Horn
Little Big Horn

As you look down the field, the battle took place down these hills and into the ravine. The Indian Encampment was on the bluff just beyond the treeline.
Indian MemorialIndian Memorial
Indian Memorial

Last Stand Hill


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0649s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb