Northwoods


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Minocqua
June 17th 2012
Published: June 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

LAKE COUNTRY UPPER WISCONSIN



We have made two relaxing stops in Wisconsin to visit family and friends. First we visited the lovely community of Middleton, a suburb of Madison, Wisconsin. There we spent the night with my cousin Greg, his wife Rhonda and their three wonderful kids, Cole, Shelby and Derrick. It was the complete upper midwest happy family sampler package. We enjoyed the sports doubleheader with hockey and T-ball practices and then it was burgers cooked on the grill back at their comfortable home in the hills outside Madison. They had a brand new puppy named "Bear" who stole our hearts.



Then, we headed north into the lake region of upper Wisconsin and the small town of Minocqua. There we met up with Gary and Marilynn, two good friends we had met on the World Cruise in 2011. Their rustic cabin on the lake was cozy, welcoming and filled with many handmade treasures including an Eagle Totem Pole out in the yard. Gary took me bass fishing and we caught so many fish we actually lost count. We were practicing a catch and release policy where you only keep the fish larger than 15 inches long and throw all the other ones back. They live at their cabin year 'round and in the winter go ice fishing and snowmobiling. Wow, that is a hardy Northwoods lifestyle! In the winter it can be 40 degrees below zero, so no wonder they like to go traveling for part of that season.



We are now in the upper pennisula of Michigan and hope to visit Mackinac Island tomorrow. No cars are allowed on the island so we will just take our bikes to tour the island. Let's hope for some good weather.

Advertisement



18th June 2012

Your visit
We had a great time with y'all. Nice picture of our eagle and us. Can't wait unitl we meet again. Love, Marilynn

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0812s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb