West Virginia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » West Virginia
September 21st 2006
Published: September 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

About 10 hours daily on very sinuous pavement. The best of times and the worst of times. Strange looks. Not dirty looks, just confused looks. Sometimes I'll enter a small town that is 40 rugged miles from the nearest small town. Thats a long way from a Wal-Mart. I feel like an anthropoligist entering a lost tribe of the Amazon. They never seen nobody from California til today.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

the manthe man
the man

had to say lowly
Camp CreekCamp Creek
Camp Creek

last night's lodging


21st September 2006

califonian
good job enlightening the hicks about california. keep up the good work. the nature of southern wv is beautiful, i bet is hot there though, with insects the size of rodents
23rd September 2006

Can't read your blog at work because the District screens out blogs (for all the right reasons, no doubt!) but never was getting on the computer at home, because Nathaniel was always there this last month since he got home from Vermont -- but Nathaniel went back to school today, so am able to catch up on the trip. The campground looks lovely, hope you are enjoying the scenery!
12th February 2007

How judgemental!!
I resent someone from CA coming to West Va. and thinking that we are a bunch of hicks who could not possibly have met anyone from CA! Like we are still in the stone age. You obviously have been subjected to a lot of media reinforcement of the stereotypical "hillbilly". Too bad you could not appreciate the natural beauty of our state without making comments about West Virginians that are untrue. If anyone needs enlightenment, it is you. I and my family are West Virginians, two of us have Master's Degrees, one is on her way to a Ph.D, and all of us have travelled extensively (even to California)!

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb