Day 6-Olympia Peninsula-Port Townsend


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
July 25th 2012
Published: July 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, a beautful sunny morning, also cool but sun implies warmth so are excited to get going. Breakfast was served at 9, we were fashionably late. After snapping the sunny view from the Inn's front porch, we were off to Olympia National Park by way of Sequim, WA (stopped at the Chamber's Visitor Center to get maps and Costco for gas and wine), to the Purple Haze Lavender Farm, then on to Olympia National Park.

We have been visiting National Parks this year including Zion and Bryce in Utah and North Rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona in June and collecting park stamps as we go. We got our Olympia park stamp as well on this trip.

Olympia National Park has beautiful vistas of snow covered mountains and green meadows in the distance with wooded winding roads leading up to view points... beautiful and pristine. See picture. We were afforded sweeping views of the water with Canada in the distance. (see picture) Beautifu

On the drive back, we drove into Dungeness Spit, a national wildlife preserve on the North coast of the Olympic peninsula just outside of Sequim. We ended the day at the Siren cafe overlooking a bay that leads out to the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Beautiful view deck and good food. Recommended!

But what would be complete without and ice cream sundae at Nifty Fiftys Soda Fountain right next door to Siren Cafe. A true fiftys looking soda fountain establishment with excellent ice cream. And to cap that off, a drum group was performing at the steps and fountain, very intricate drumming, very entertaining.

The weather today was the best yet, sunny all day and high of about 73. Let's hope it holds.

Finally back to the Inn to finish the blog, reading, wine and......until tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



26th July 2012

Enjoying the Olympics
We are really enjoying your blogs. The Olympics remind me of the Swiss Alps. Your photos tell a good story and show the joy you are experiencing. Washington is really a beautiful state.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb