Love love LOVE Seattle!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
May 14th 2012
Published: May 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This weekend i went with my Uncle and the family to Seattle. It was an awesome weekend and i will recommend Seattle to anybody and everybody!

Its green, gorgeous and clean, right by the sea! As soon as i work out how to put up photos on this dang thing i can show everyone.

The reason for the weekend was that my family were all running in this 5k running event they have over here called the colour run. It was one of the most awesome events ever. Pretty much you run or walk a 5k track and every so ofte you get splattered with powdered paint. youtube it, totes fab! i want to bring it to NZ cause i think it would get popular fast. Very cool.

Anyway we left Penticton at like 9am, which apparently was good for them cause one of my cousins is terrible at getting out of bed and ready for anything. The boarder was about an hours drive away and crossing it was pretty painless which i was surprised at. Apparently they get quite anal there but not this time. Then its another 6 or 7 hour drive to Seattle through massive mountains and long straight roads. We did stop at Levonworth for lunch though so that added a bit of time.

Levonworth is this cute little touristy town that was once used for mining but when that went under they turned the town into a tourist destination and built the town with a german setting. So all the restaurants are german foods and shops sell german 'stuff' (whatever) and the buildings are all built with a certain look so that they look like they come out of a german storybook. German German German, you get the point. So we had lunch there, ate traditional German sausage of some sort (hahahahaha) bratwerst i think, and we actually arrived on the day they were celebrating Maifest which as far as i understand was a celebration of spring. All the townsfolk were all dressed up in traditional clothing, there were bands playing and a massive may pole in the middle of the town. It was quite cool. Apparently their beer fests in October are awesome.

Once we finally reached Seattle, we checked into our hotel (the Westin, Which i will never recomment to anyone) and went oout and aboout the city to find somewhere to eat dinner. We met this black guy who was walking round the streets playing a water cooler as a drum and singing. At first glance he looked like a bum and whether he was or not i dont know but he was really helpful with where to eat and told us all about all the restaurants in the city. Interesting man. We ended up at this cute little place that changes its menu everyday. It was fine but nothing amazing. I cant remember the name.

The next morning we had to be up early and out down to the Seattle centre for the run. Thousands of white people started the race (everyone was given a white race shirt) and thousands of very colourful people finished the race. It was very cool. My family were doing it for fun so i have no idea where they finished but they had loads of fun and we got some good pics.

That afternoon we wondered round the Pike Market. Its down on the waterfront and is crazy busy and has everything, including the original starbucks. They also hold the 'world famous' fish throwing seafood shop. Its been in quite a few movies but its pretty much a seafood shop where the guys working are trained to entertain. They shout out random things and throw fish around haha. Again, youtube it. There are loads of pretty good Street performers and different shops and stalls. Have i mentioned that i loved Seattle?

Wondered around the city a bit. Just loved it. Although i stopped to get coffee and got chatting with this very cute American guy who told me that its not often that they get the weather they had that day. It was totally clear blue skies and so so hot! No wonder the city is so green and pretty!

Then that night we went to this awesome restaurant called Icon which had great food and this Sundae that looked A MAZ ING! It was a massive mountain of icecream with a cone that stuck out of it. When the cone was lifted a mass load of chocolate sauce came out and then they dump a shite load of cream on it, strawberries, nuts and m&m's. wow. unfortunately we were all to full to get it. I would have attacked it on my own but it was just far to big. Sigh.

Then Monday morning was the very long drive home. We stopped briefly outside of Seattle cause my uncle wanted a 'traditional' American diner for a typical American breakfast. Mass loads of food but good. i swear they want me to gain 10pounds.

Anyway i would go back in a heart beat. Rain or no rain. I will get the photos up as soon as i work out how...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb