Still Here, but Somewhere Else Now


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
March 28th 2006
Published: March 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

SeattleSeattleSeattle

'The Experience Music Project' building was totally rad.
Portland was the next stop after Eureka, and just in time to experience Portland's record low temperatures. It was cold, VERY cold and Portland will forever be etched in my memory as the place with the freakish weather.

We stayed with Theresa's friend, Scott, in his house that instantly felt like home. Scott was cool and Portland was a cool place, not only because of it's weather, but also because it seemed like a really young city with lots of musical and artistic happenings. We didn't indulge in any of these happenings, instead, we hit the gay bars for a trashy night and then felt crap the next day.

We gave ourselves some time to recover and then motored on up to Seattle and met another of Theresa's friends, Bruce, and his fiance Renee. They were lovely to us and gave us a meal, a place to stay for the night and some good tips on what we should do in Seattle. One of those tips was to do an underground tour. This was actually really fascinating as Seattle, at the turn of the century, was buried underground. Exploring it is a maze of tunnels that wind around right underneath today's city.

We stayed the remainder of our 3 days in Seattle, in a hostel, in the city. It was the first time in a while, that we had stayed in a hostel and I think we'd both forgotten entirely how strange hostel folk can be. Nevertheless, we ended up going out to some bars with two of them, 'Super Squirrel Extraordinaire', a "gyspy" who wore the tail to prove that she was, in fact, a real squirrel, and Craig, a British gaming nerd. Our bizarre company led us to a really fun bar that was exactly like the one in the movie 'Coyote Ugly' and was complete with bar-top dancing waitresses, leering men and a mechanical bull (that had 'if you try me, Kate, you will end up in hospital with multiple injuries' painted all over it). A fun night was had by all.

Feeling only moderately fragile from the previous night's events we left Seattle. Destination: Canada.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

SeattleSeattle
Seattle

The 'Experience Music Project' building.
Trees of MysteryTrees of Mystery
Trees of Mystery

Paul Bunyan and his trusty bull(?!). Weird roadside attraction on the way to Portland from Eureka.
Trees of MysteryTrees of Mystery
Trees of Mystery

We still don't know why the trees were so mysterious but it killed 5 minutes in a long journey.
Trees of MysteryTrees of Mystery
Trees of Mystery

Paul Bunyan's trusty bull's ball.
Multnomah FallsMultnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls

Me, Scott and Rob. It was cold.
Multnomah FallsMultnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls

Rob and Scott.
SeattleSeattle
Seattle

Let it be known that I am not a 'Starbucks' fan, but this was the original so it was worthy of a photo.
SeattleSeattle
Seattle

I have no idea where we are here... maybe in a crack den.
SeattleSeattle
Seattle

The Space Needle of course.


6th April 2006

can you say SUCCINCT?!
You are Awesome Kate. Sometimes the photos and mention of too much libation tell the whole story. I'm with ya, babe! Love youse, Theresa

Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 80; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb