North and South


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » North Bend
October 1st 2009
Published: October 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

buchart gardensbuchart gardensbuchart gardens

awesome autumn
Here is the last part of the journey. Arrived in Seattle on the 22nd and was picked up by Kimberley on a warm autumnal day. That night we went to yoga class (I managed most of it) and were warned to be careful on the way home as there had been bear and cougar around. Dammn! didn't see a one, only a squirrel! Kimberley said that there are often elk in the yard, but as yet I have only heard them, (sound like a wolf cry) not seen any.

the next day Kimberley had to work in the city so I went in early and had the day in town. The first port of call was at the Port area. Pike place Market. It is a public market overlooking the Elliott Bay waterfront in Seattle, Washington, United States. The Market opened August 17, 1907, with its main attraction being the fresh sea food, and boy there was an abundance and looked great. The market is one of the oldest continually operated public farmers' markets in the United States. It is a place of business for many small farmers, craftspeople and merchants. Named after the central street, Pike Place remains one of Seattle's most popular tourist destinations. There were great numbers of indigent people around he market place as it is surrounded by public housing areas. One of the attractions is when you want a fish weighed, they pick it out of the ice and throw it to the other guy to weigh, quite a performance.

Met Kimberley for lunch, the on to the Space Needle and some other sights around the parks. Soo tired, met with Kimberly and went home on the bus and car. The next day I just mooched around the house, went for a walk, cooked dinner, drove around the area and found out about hair cuts. I needed a trim badly.

the next day, JD drove me around to do some sightseeing and areas around North bend and had my hair cut and a few foils put in (not as good as Irene). They live in a beautiful part of the world. That night JD had a boys poker night, so the girls all got together for dinner and a natter at Jill's place and we all had a good time. On the way to Jill's house, Kimberley took me to the top of the local lookout, the scenery was magnificent, the mountains were so many different hues as the sun was setting. On the weekend, we had lunch at the Casino (which was run by the local indigineous tribe) and off to do a spot of shopping. Went to my first Costco shop, they are like 'Bunnings' on steroids. They sell anything, and in bulk. Books are very inexpensive here, Americans are spoiled by the choice and price of books.

When I was in Canada at Christmas, I had borrowed a ski jacket from my friend Sue, so I thought I would explore purchasing one whilst in the USA. Well, I ended up with three! Now the trick is to get them home.

In the car with JD and Kimberley, we were talking about TV shows and what was made in Seattle, such as Frasier, and I said my all time favorite TV show was Northern Exposure and I was not sure where it was in Alaska, JD then informed me it had been filmed at a place called Roslyn and was about an hour and half drive from them - this then really was on the agenda to see. Kimberley and I set out on the Wednesday and it had snowed the night before on top of the mountains, so it was beautiful scenery and I was so pleased to have bought that coat!

We arrived in Roslyn, the wind was blowing, but no moose to be seen. I loved it, just like the show. Roslyn cafe, (had my photo taken outside), the Brick (the local tavern), the barber shop, and Joel Fleishman's office (now a gift shop). We found a couple of things not related to the show. There was a cosy health food shop, with a lady running the shop who gave us free tea - as she thought we looked cold. I found this 'cookie' called a snickerdoodle and just had to buy one for Kimberley - apparently a cinnamon sugar type of biscuit. The other find was a great little timber cottage, just off the main street which was a patchwork quilting shop/workshop with a big fireplace and comfy chairs. You can hire the place and they have accomodation next door for $70 pp pn - with full use of all the facilities. Had a great feel and charm. I would like to go back for a girls week there.

The next morning I was up early and caught the ferry to Victoria in BC. Such a beautiful place, and so different in the Autumn. It was raining when I arrived, so I walked around the town, then caught buses to look around the island.

I asked at the hotel about some local history and where to go and was directed to Craigdarroch castle which was built between 1887-1890 for Robert Dunsmuir, a Scottish immigrant who made his fortune from Vancouver Island coal. This legendary Victorian mansion, built on a hill overlooking the City of Victoria (Craigdarroch means "rocky, oak place" in Gaelic) announced to the world that Robert Dunsmuir was the richest and most important man in Western Canada. He died in 1889 leaving his entire estate to his wife Joan who lived in the Castle until her death in 1908. The immense fortune of the Dunsmuir family is reflected in the four floors of exquisite stained glass windows, intricate woodwork and fabulous Victorian era furnishings. It was something to behold - a feast of woodworked stairs and lavish rooms. There are 39 rooms, most of which are furnished from the 1890s-1900s period, and you climb 87 stairs to the tower. There you'll see fabulous views of Victoria, the Straight of Juan de Fuca, and the Olympic Mountains. there are rooms in which you are able to be part of the castle. I played Fur Elise on the Steinway square grand piano!

As I had travelled around the island, I was so taken with the area around the castle, the types of houses and the views, I would say this area was my favorite and the area around the university of Victoria. I went to the old Spaghetti factory - a chain of restaurants started in Portland Oregon. The focus is on quality and price with an italianate diner feel. The Old Spaghetti Factory's success is its ability to deliver a complete dinner (salad, a fresh hot loaf of bread, spaghetti (of your choice), drink and dessert) for the very reasonable price of CA $9.95. Nearly everything in the meal is made on-premise, from scratch using fresh ingredients and was just what was needed. Early the next morning, it was out to the Butchart Gardens. At Christmas, these gardens were covered in snow and fairy lights, a pure fantasy. Today they were again beautiful, but from a different perspective. Autumn, colored leaves, roses and so many flowers. I was delighted to see them in such a different light and equally as beautiful. To finish off my two days, I indulged in high tea at the Empress - which is something I had missed out on last time.

I was shown to a table overlooking the harbour, given strawberries and cream to begin with, then the silver platter came with an assortment of sandwiches (Salmon and cream chees, cucumber etc) and sweet cakes, pastries and chocolates. You are constantly having your choice of tea poured for you. The waitress had the forsight to bring me (a single person) a book on the history of the Fairmont Empress. I thoroughly enjoyed both the tea and the book.

The history of the hotel contain stories of unusual guests and employees. In 1987, a woman wrote about her wonderful stay at The Empress and asked if other guests had received a similar late night visitor: a little girl who had watched over her bed and then floated across the room. There are also the stories of an early 20th century maid, who shows up now and again on the sixth floor to help with the cleaning. This maid had died because of her religion. Every night she would go outside to the fire escape and say her rosary. Unbeknown to her, renovations that were being undertaken had seen the fire escape being taken down that day, so she stepped out of the 6th floor door and fell to her death. Two years later a builder fell from the same place.

Throughout its history, The Fairmont Empress played host to kings, queens, movie stars and distinguished guests from around the world. One story that I could not help but giggle at was one of the permanent residents - a very meticulous lady, who every night had the same ritual. She ate her dinner, drank her coffee, wiped her lips with the napkin, folded it neatly, then took out her false teeth and swished them in the water glass, put on her gloves and left. This, plus all the other interesting information entertained me for the last few hours before I had to catch the ferry back to Seattle.

My last two days were somewhat of a blur, with the highlight being the Salmon run festival, as this area in North Bend is where the Salmon end their days, spawning, then their life is over. Apparently numbers of Salmon have increased dramatically this year. Lots of arts and craft stalls. Then a night with the girls, then off to the airport, for the red eye trip to Ft Lauderdale to visit Warren and Mark.

It was great to see them again, although I was so tired from the flight, I almost did not register the first day. Warren works as a volunteer at Bonnet House, one of the last remaining properties not torn down and developed on the foreshore of Ft. Lauderdale. I was fortunate to be taken by Warren on his tour and given the history of the house. An early settler in the area, Hugh Taylor Birch gave the Bonnet House property as a wedding gift to his daughter Helen and her husband, Chicago artist Frederic Clay Bartlett in 1919. It was his second marriage, and her first. He had one son from his first marriage. The newlyweds began construction of Bonnet House in 1920, eager for a winter retreat where Frederic could pursue his artwork and Helen could compose music and poetry. Tragedy struck in 1925 when Helen died from breast cancer. Frederic’s visits to Bonnet House then became sporadic until 1931 when he married Evelyn Fortune Lilly (who had a daughter from a previous marriage). With this marriage, a renaissance occurred on the site as Frederic and Evelyn entered a prolific period of embellishing Bonnet House with the decorative elements that delight visitors to this day.

Frederic died in 1953, but Evelyn continued to return each winter. In 1983, Evelyn Fortune Bartlett gave Bonnet House to the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation. Her contribution—at the time, the largest charitable gift in Florida history—ensured that the site would be preserved for the enjoyment and education of future generations. It was very interesting to see his art which was post impressionist and his unusal collections, such as shells. Evelyn had a large collection of anything 'monkey'.

Then I was able to indulge in some more 'unsavoury' history of the area - I had dinner at a 'speakeasy' called Cap's place. You catch a boat to the inlet pier and enter a small long house which has entertained celebrities such as Sir Winston Churchill and serves great seafood. Cap’s
northern exposurenorthern exposurenorthern exposure

outside rosyln cafe, roslyn is the town used in NE as CicelyAlaska
Place has a personality all its own. It has stood through hurricanes, the pioneer days, Roaring Twenties, Prohibition, the Depression, world wars, and times of peace. Cap’s Place echoes the voices of the many celebrities and local folks who have dined there. Even the buildings represent early settlers’ ingenuity in adapting to the climate with locally available materials. Known as Vernacular architecture, this style relies on the builder’s experience to create a useful and practical building. Cap Knight was a practical man who played an important role in the area’s history





Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

train station Tacoma Washingtontrain station Tacoma Washington
train station Tacoma Washington

taken from the chihuly bridge of glass


11th October 2009

beautiful garden photos. I think my favorite is the one with the little bridge.

Tot: 0.385s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb