Where are the whales?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
January 17th 2004
Published: July 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

While at the adventure travel expo in NYC I came across a really cheap whale watching package in Virginia Beach. It included two nights at the hotel, breakfasts, one dinner and one lunch, tickets to a whale watching tour and admission to the aquarium and marine science center and an imax movie all for less than $150. We were sick of the cold and the snow so Kevin and I decided to make the trip down. We drove and it was a long ride from NJ. As we got closer it began to get warmer and warmer- when we left we were bundled up in jackets and gloves but by the time we got down to Virginia beach it was sunny and warm enough to walk around in just a sweater. The first day we just spent exploring the beach and the town. It seems like it would be a lot more fun in the summer as it is there off season and not much going on. The next day we woke up early to catch the first boat going out to look for whales. They told us it was going to be much colder on the boat and they definitely weren't kidding. We were wearing our winter coats, hats, gloves, even long underwear but we were still cold. The trip was about two hours long and the water was pretty rough because of a storm just off the coast. Unfortunately the whole time we didn't see any whales. After returning to shore we decided to go to lunch and then went to the aquarium and marine science center. This was a lot of fun the exhibits were interesting and there was a lot to do. The move we saw was life in a giant kelp forest and was very interesting. After that we went back to our hotel and had dinner at the restaurant on the top floor which had an excellent view and delicious food. The next day we started the long drive back to NJ.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb