Published: February 27th 2012February 27th 2012
I had intended to call this post something else..but in light of the days events, the Bugs Bunny quotes is far more appropriate.
So we got off to a late start. Mis-communiction often leads to delay and it seems today is not different.
Once we were under way we made reasonably good time…until, as we approached Hartford, the GPS was nagging us to turn for Route 91 and Craig saw the sign which read “New York City”…which he quickly determined the he did not like. “I don’t want to go to NYC!”.
We (OK, he!) made a snap decision which involved taking an unplanned detour with no maps to support us. Hey, it is an adventure after all..
Eventually we capitulated, gave in to the unceasing complaints of the GPS and got back on track.. We won’t really mention the flurry of calls and texts from the tailing car expressing grave concern at our attempt at independent thought. It was a very interesting side trip through mid-state Connecticut as we tried to work our way back to Route 91.
All appeared well…
We finished our trip through CT..on to New York and the crossing of the Tappen Zee Bridge. It seems after that time, mine and Craig’s thoughts became muddled. For just a moment, and that’s all it takes at 65MPH. For reasons which are unlikely to become clear (I’m not telling!) both of us became interested in making sure that the Sirius radio is working correctly at the exact same moment that the most important thing is supposed to be the fact the we should be taking the exit ramp to get on the Thruway South! Again come the calls from the Ladies behind us..”What are you doing?”, “I thought THAT was our exit?” Yup, it was. Thanks for pointing that out.
Down to the next exit…off the ramp, across the bridge and then on the ramp back towards the east and eventually back on the prescribed course.
I (almost) wish I could say that we had MORE adventure than that but it really worked out well at just that. We had hoped to make North Carolina today but the late start and the, let’s call them “scenic routes”, have made it such that we are arriving in Richmond VA at 9:00PM and we are …done.
Nothing special about the hotel with the sole exception that they wanted $14 for a Kettle One and Chambourd Martini!
The overall driving experience of driving was a cross between surprise and incredulity. Over the years I have heard many people claim that Mass drivers are crazy…after today I am not convinced that these accounts are entirely accurate. Between Delaware and Richmond 85% of the cars are strictly doing the speed limit or considerably less and they are all over the place. Right lane, left lane..middle lane. Clogging everything up. Then you have the remaining 15% actually trying to get somewhere and they don’t care what it takes, or how many people they have to cut off, to get there. Idiots and assholes..everywhere. I never want to hear anyone complain about Mass drivers again.
Wildlife! I don’t think I have ever seen so many Red-tailed hawks as we saw today. They were in the sky. They were on the ground in the median. They were perched in trees, perched on lightposts. They were everywhere. We saw a bald eagle. We say dozens of turkeys. We saw long, graceful V’s of geese returning Northward. Hundreds of Crows flying together. Turkey Vultures..I’m sure a couple of Black Vultures.
As I finish typing, here in Richmond at 11:30-ish, I have “Pirates of the Carribean” on the telly. Everyone else has already turned in. I am enjoying the last of the Samuel Adams “Stony Brook Red” which I believe Craig said one of his cousins had donated to “the cause”! Cheers!
The first real day of adventure turned out OK. From this point on we cover ground which is new to me, never having been past Virginia on the ground.
That’s about all I have for now..in the words of Bill and Ted..
“Be Excellent to each other!”