First Three Days.....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Newport News
August 29th 2010
Published: August 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

BreakfastBreakfastBreakfast

We enjoy stopping along the way for something to eat.
I guess I was being optimistic when I thought I'd be blogging our trip every day. Our days begin around 5am when Lobo wakes up and wants to play. It ends around 9 or 10pm when we hit the bed in our hotel room. I promise to blog weekly. That sounds more likely, but I may do so more often. Just keep checking back.
Right now we are in Newport News, VA. Bills' two sisters and his Mom are in this area, so we came to visit while enroute. Tomorrow, we set sail for Vass, N.C......where a friend of mine lives.
The trip to get to this point began Thursday afternoon about 2:15. We left the Cape and made it to Southbury, CT. After being turned away by 3 hotels because we had the dogs, I began to think we'd be sleeping in the van for our first night. It was 9pm and we still didn't have anywhere to stay. One more stop off Route 84 brought us to the Crowne Plaza. Nice spot...and they allowed dogs. By then, I would've paid anything for a bed!
After running around in the local State Park (the dogs, not us) we left Southbury.
Inside the VanInside the VanInside the Van

I can't imagine what this van will look like by the time we get to our destination. It's only been 2 days!
The Quality Inn in Seaford, DE. was out next stop. Today, we made it to Newport News.
I won't say travelling with a two dogs is easy. They seem to be the first thing we think about in the morning and the last thing at night. The van has made it much easier, though. They have lots of room to get up and stretch, but they both tend to sleep while the we're moving. We do stop alot, but more for me and Bill.
We've tried our best, and have succeeded at avoiding Route 95. The only traffice we have hit so far, was today on the NJ Turnpike, but that wasn't bad at all. Route 13 thru Delaware was a much more scenic road...and quite rural. If we needed alcohol or cigarettes, we could've stopped every 1/2 mile.
I need to lay my head on the pillow now. Stay tuned. This should get more interesting the further south we get.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Chesapeake Bay BridgeChesapeake Bay Bridge
Chesapeake Bay Bridge

20+ miles long...
The RideThe Ride
The Ride

We have loaded the trailer so much..we do hope the van is capable of handling it.


29th August 2010

hey there
thanks for the updates on your trip. Keep on Skype-ing!
29th August 2010

Fun to keep track of your travels this way!!! You will all get into a traveling groove! Safe travels!
29th August 2010

Wow!
And friends think that we're crazy for full-timing! What an adventure you two have started out on. Only wish we had gotten to see you before you left. We'll so enjoy your blog. Travel safe!

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb