Bus Driver Lost on the way to Vermont


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont
July 14th 2005
Published: March 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

New YorkNew YorkNew York

from the plane
We flew to Newark Airport from Salt Lake City via Houston. There was a cool space shop in the airport and we were so tempted to buy stuff but felt it would be a little fake as we were not actually visiting the space centre or even Houston, we were only here to swap planes so resisted buying space paraphernalia and space food for our kids (or was my husband really buying it for himself... hmmmm interesting 😊

On domestic flights in the United States there is hardly any food served, so with two planes to catch we spent most of the day starving. Flying into New York was so exciting and most people were trying to look out the window. However for some reason I was feeling really queasy and every time I tried to look out the window I felt really sick and had to put my head back down. I got about a 10 second look, so thats my experience of New York. Hubby got to enjoy the view and took a few photo's.

Once we got our luggage we hopped into the bus and waited, and waited and waited. The other half of our two
FlowersFlowersFlowers

The gardens were so beautiful
tour bus tour, had to fly through Cincinatti where there had been a storm. They had been delayed and we had to wait for them. So in the three hour wait sitting in a bus going nowhere we made friends with one of the other young couples (Most people were middle aged or older). Glad we did as Ryan and Bridget entertained us well for the next 9 days.

So the bus finally takes off and we drive around in circles a few times - back to the airport!!! The bus driver wasn't from New York - he was from where we we are heading to, so took the wrong exit or something. 30 mins later we are finally on our way. It was night time by now, and we got to see New York all lit up in the distance as we drove past it on our way to Vermont. I would have loved to go to New York, but our tour didn't include New York and I think 10 days is enough on a bus. So we are now about 3 hours later than we were meant to be and the place we were meant to stop
Quiet ContemplationQuiet ContemplationQuiet Contemplation

Green - A favourite colour
for dinner has 3 other busses pulled up at it. We join a line of over 100 people to get some dinner and then our guide tells us we have to leave, it will take too long and promises to stop somewhere else. So far we had survived the day on the two drinks from the two plane rides and two little packets of nuts and cookies. We were STARVING!!

Back on the bus we go and head off into the dark watching New York State, Connecticut, Massachusetts and finally Vermont go rushing past . There were no food places open along the way and the passengers on the bus were beginning to want to mutiny. The bus had telephoned the hotel that we would be late, so when we got there they had fresh cookies and brownies and milk waiting for us. I must say that they were the most delicious treats I have ever eaten in my whole life. The down side of consuming sweets at 2am is that it took most of us a while before we could actually get to sleep, now being on a sugar high! We knew we had to be up by
Joseph Smith MonumentJoseph Smith MonumentJoseph Smith Monument

Birthplace of Joseph Smith
7am so we needed to go to sleep, we took our brownies and milk up to our room and slept in the nicest bed I have ever slept in. I think we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Brattleboro. It was brand new - only been open a couple of months. The bed and pillows were so soft, or maybe it was my tired almost comatose body delighting in actually being in bed.

We drove to Sharon Vermont and we were able to have church too. The chapel for that area is at the Joseph Smith Birthplace Memorial. It was a beautiful white wooden chapel. I suppose because it was Sunday that I didnt think to take any photos of the chapel itself. What a lucky ward to be able to meet here. The gardens and surrounding woods are amazing shades of green. As it is usually cold in Vermont the chapel did not have airconditioning. So instead we got to have church with all the doors open and a breeze blowing and hearing birds chirping. It was hot so people were fanning themselves with paper. It was an amazing experience. We also got to hear from Dr John Lund who shared a great talk on how Joseph Smith's family came to be were they were and what foundations were laid by previous gospel scholars for it all to happen even back in 400 AD. It was one of the best talks I have ever heard and we were riveted for 2 hours.

"In the spring of 1905 Junius Wells, on assignment from the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints arrived in Sharon Vermont. He proceeded to locate the sight of Joseph's birth, procure the land and design a monument, arrange for and supervise the construction and oversee the dedicatory ceremony. The shaft of the monument protruding above the base, is 38 1/2 feet tall. It represents one foot in height for every year of the prophets life. It weighs 40 tonnes and is one of the largest single pieces of flawless granite in the world.

No trucks or cranes were available in 1905 so a special wagon with 20 inch wheels and 22 horses was used to transport the granite 35 miles from the quarry. The horses could not pull the load up the hill so a team of oxen
My Christmas TreesMy Christmas TreesMy Christmas Trees

Vermont is filled with the most beautiful trees in the world
were enlisted to pull the block and tackle rope, and the horses pulled the wagon directly about 80 feet at a time. It took 33 days to move the granite. Part way up the hill a mud swamp blocked their path. There was no way the heavy wagon could across. A north wind began to blow and a "Canadian Clipper" came through the area, dropping the temperature to 35 degrees farenheit in just 3 hours. The mud hole froze solid and they were able to transport the wagon over the swamp with no difficulities. The weather warmed later and would not be that cold again for the duration of the project. "I called that providence" Brother Wells commented."

The only thing left from the original log cabin when Joseph was born is the Hearth Stone. Since Joseph was born on the 23 of December which is very cold in Vermont we were told that babies were laid on the hearth stone to keep warm. There other two buildings at the memorial are made out of stone. One is the visitors centre and the other is a home where the Missionary couple live. We almost accidently walked into their house!!
The Hearth StoneThe Hearth StoneThe Hearth Stone

The Hearth was all that remains of the original log cabin where Joseph Smith was born
If you get in the right position at certain times of the day you can take a photo of the sun reflecting off the top of the monument. See the photo where it is shining at the top. It took some positioning and timing but we got one!! Professional photographers can get ones were there is a blinding light shining off the top.

The Relief Society from Sharon had made packed lunches for the 100 of us that were there, so we ate picnic style in the gorgeous surroundings. We received a pre paid package from the Times and Seasons gift shop (as it was Sunday the shop was closed). Inside was Vermont maple syrup, buttermilk pancake mix, maple syrup lollypops, magnet and commemerative coin. Vermont is famous for it's maple syrup. And it was good!!

I don't know what we were thinking but we took hardly any photos. Vermont would have to be the most beautiful place I have ever been, though given it was summer and I might not be so praising if it had been the height of winter! The houses are A frame wooden ones and most houses have those typical red barns. Most
Some of our tour groupSome of our tour groupSome of our tour group

Listening to a talk, visitors centre in the background
areas are semi rural. When the houses were closer together none of the houses had fences. It seemed really bizarre just to be able to see swings, chairs and swimming pools and down the sides of peoples homes. It felt very open. I felt a bit like a sticky beak being able to see everyones belongings. We drove for hours and hours and didn't see a single fence. Very unusual. I just can't describe how beautiful it was. All I can suggest is that you check out www.webshots.com and type Vermont in the search area or do a google search.

It was beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!

We had a wonderful day in Vermont and alas our tour was moving on the next day to Palmyra in Upstate New York.

Vermont Vermont you are always in my dreams.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Somewhere middle AmericaSomewhere middle America
Somewhere middle America

See the River to the left
Trying to get "the" shotTrying to get "the" shot
Trying to get "the" shot

Someones arm in our way. Others trying to get a good shot too.


6th April 2007

ooo Vermont looks great - love the trees! And all that green....I appreciated the detail re how they put up the monument - your trip is so full of great blessings:what a wonderful experience. And I am sure that you can 'see' Vermont in your mind and heart even though you didn't take many photographs.

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 75; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb