Day 69 - day trip to Vermont


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Waterbury
October 16th 2013
Published: October 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post


Fall colours along the highway
Left Quebec City before 7am this morning - with a destination of Vermont USA being where we were heading for a day trip.

Vermont was a destination we wanted to visit for 2 reasons. The first was to see the fall foliage - Vermont is number 1 in the USA to see fall at its best. The second reason was to visit the famous "Ben & Jerry's" factory in Waterbury Vermont.

The drive from Quebec City to the USA border was uneventful - a good easy drive but not much in the way of scenery. Crossing over the border was no drama just a 15 minute wait as only one custom officer working at the station.

After crossing the Vermont border the colours along the highway were amazing so we thought we were going to be in for a treat. The trees up on the hillsides looked like giant bunches of flowers - it is something you have to see for yourself.

First we went to Waterbury and visited the icecream factory. The tour is $4 and is not really a full on tour - more of a comedy act. After the tour we visited the Graveyard

The Ben and Jerry's Bus
- the place where they bury the flavours that have retired! It's all about fun here.

Next we did a scenic drive around the area of Stowe - through Snugglers Cove and Jeffersonville. We had researched which drive would have the best colours - only one problem - we are about two weeks too late. Unfortunately a lot of the trees were already bare. Never mind you can't control Mother Nature and it was a nice drive through some small villages.

We left Vermont about 3pm and headed to Montreal where we are staying for 2 nights before flying to NYC. It would have been convenient if we could have returned the car to NYC but unfortunately the rental agencies won't allow returns across borders of different countries of North America.

Found our way to our accommodation in Montreal no problems - staying at the Le Roberval hotel - downtown Montreal. Good location $78 per night - room has a small kitchenette with fridge, microwave and coffee machine. Car parking is in a 3 storey basement in another hotel for $13 per night. Parking is at a premium in Montreal so we are happy that we have

The hillside
undercover parking - at least we don't have to run out to a parking meter every hour or so!

Tomorrow is our last day in Canada so we will make the most of it.

Our understanding of the French language is getting better - we can recognise words - speaking the language is not a happening thing though.

Anyway au revoir for tonight!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Vermont colours


When the leaves are all gone...


Fall colours at Stowa


On tour


The graveyard


With an old favourite


At the factory tour


Ben and Jerry's


Geoff on his way to the graveyard


In memory....


Local village in Stowe


More vibrant colours


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb