Snow Anyone?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Springdale
March 31st 2008
Published: March 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Brigam - Springdale


Sorry no Pics today. Unfortunately snow, wind and rain were the only items on the menu today. We stopped and had Carl's Jr. at Cedar City. Yes, Yes I know, enough about the food, but on road trips all you do is eat and drive just like a baby eats, poops and sleeps. Fortunately I skipped the latter one.
Anyways, back to the story at hand. If you look at the map link, our plan was to take the Markaguant High Plateau Scenic Byway (14) over to the I89 and then come through the back of Zion Canyon via hwy 9. So we headed out on the 14, btw the sky was partly cloudy and the snow and rain had stopped 1/2 hr or so prior, the first 15 kms were amazing with all the red rock and majestic valleys. Up to this point we are going up and up and up and up and the shoulders we getting narrower.
We were admiring the 100 and 200 foot cliffs rising up only a few feet from the side of the van. Minutes later, the same cliffs were hundreds of feet straight down only a foot or two from the side of the van. It was a wonderful view and the first time the kids actually started looking out the windows at the scenery. We had a little rain and a few flurries up until then but just as we started to really climb the snow got heavier and heavier and our visibility was getting down to 20 or 30 feet. At this point we couldn't even think about turning around because the road was as wide as our van was long. It wasn't until the snow had started to form into ice that I started to get a little worried. So a few minutes later we came around this corner and there was enough of a turn off to turn around and head back down. The first few kms were a little dicey as the signs pointed out that the grade at points varied from 4 to 8% and the snow was definitely changing to ice. We eventually made it back to the I15. Now I could say "If the kids and Janelle weren't with me I would have trekked through all the way but in all actuality I was a wee bit scared and wouldn't have pushed on any further by myself.

As we made our way to Springdale we were very glad about our decision because even the I15 was pretty brutal. On the news a few minutes ago they had mentioned that there were a few accidents and a rollover that day.

After the eventful day that we had, it ended very nicely. We went for dinner here at the Hotel and then the kids and I went to the outdoor pool and hot tub. We goofed off and rid ourselves of the built up energy over the last 7 hour car ride. It must cost them a fortune to heat the swimming pool here because it was only 7º outside, pouring rain and the pool was warm with steam coming off of it. It was warmer than the cold indoor pool that we were in yesterday.

At least the forecast for the next 3 days while we are in Vegas is 22-24º and sunny.

until tomorrow
Sandy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb