Moab...Arches, Canyonlands and Deadhorse....very very cold...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
January 6th 2013
Published: January 16th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The weather was really cold...the landscape was really amazing...that may be a short cut, but it's a pretty accurate one!



Any great vacation is one which provide a great diversity. We are the 6th of January, and have spent the last 6 days going from one National Park to another National Park...so for Tiffany and Leslie, these two last parks were great, but they were also happy to be the last ones. For myself, let be honest, I could have take few more days of these impressive landscapes...these are amazing places!



Leslie put it pretty simply once we left the area...Papa, 6 days ago I would have said wow just driving this road...today it's...well....we've seen better! Sadly, this is not the first time I have these kinds of comments. Once you spend your time chasing the best, the pretty good seems pretty average later on....that's life!



We have arrived in Moab from Monument Valley...Moab, as Kanab or Page is just another row of gas stations, chains of hotels and restaurants...actually better renamed as fast-food....even if we found a pretty nice mexican restaurant.



The weather is cold, very cold around, and I grant you, temperatures dipping below -20 degres celsius are not the easiest ones to keep children that happy. But hey, the weather is really dry, meaning it really doesn't feel like -20....it just feel....very cold...I know, we should smile at that comment!



We made it to Delicate Arch for sunset. Well, not really to the Arch. Walking up there is around 1.5 miles...that would not have been an issue. But I was not coming back with two kids...in the dark...in the cold...on icy tracks...we all need our legs for way more fun the coming days! So we did the easy way, just half a miles up to reach a beautiful view of the sun changing the colors of the red stones at Delicate Arch...how beautiful was that!



Next morning we started by getting to the State Park of Deadhorse Poin, having the placet to ourselves. Beautiful! The view from up there is another one of out-of-this-world moment. Our last park of the week, one of the grandest, we visited the Canyonlands National Park, another great moment. We could have spent way more time here, but it was soon time to get ready to head north-east to Salt Lake City.



Canyonlands is another impressive place. We did the small walk in the snow to reach Mesa Arch. If you suffer from being not comfortable with highs...this place may be a little scary for you. Leslie and Tiffany don't really suffer from this, and that's good news for me...jumping from an aircraft any time soon? Well....maybe in a few year time...



This is it for one of the week I would simply consider as amazing in respect to landscape. These place were just out-of-this-world one after the other one...We didn't had amazing hotels or meals...didn't visit any great museum...but these canyons...well, if you haven't come yet...start to plan!



We are already standing in way warmer weather for the last 2 days...January is far from being over...next entry...from the slopes of another great place!


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



17th January 2013

Brrrr...it looks so cold! Hope you guys are staying warm, especially with Leslie and Tiffany going up to higher altitude on those arches. It's nice to see some photos of Moab in the wintertime as most of the time people go during the warmer season.

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb