SCENIC ROUTE 128 NEAR MOAB, UTAH


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
May 20th 2012
Published: May 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, May 9th (continued)





Drove back north and turned alongside of the Colorado River up the scenic highway 128. Most BLM campgrounds along the river were filled, or the spot that was open was in full sun. Extremely scenic drive with all kinds of rock formations.

At mile 29, we found no one camping in the Dewey Bridge Campground. There were 4 workmen building a sun shelter for the river rafters to sit under while they wait for their rubber raft or their bus ride back to town. Paid our $6. and settled in under a big shade tree.


May 10th, Thursday





Blue skies and 59 degrees this morning. Starting mileage is 25397. In the Dewey Bridge BML camground.

First thing we did this morning is to drive a block or so to see the bridge that the campground was named for. Most of what was left was the metal structure/ uprights for the suspension bridge that apparently, at one time, was the 2nd longest span west of the Mississippi. The bridge was built in 1905 over the Colorado River and wide enough and sturdy enough to allow for a 6 horse team and a heavy filled freight wagon to cross over. There was a lot of mining in this area at one time.

Drove back down highway 128 to Moab and this time Valerie’s driver’s license was there at the post office. Filled the tank with gas and then headed up the road to the Arches National Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0593s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb