Mountain Biking in Moab


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
October 28th 2011
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I ended up staying an extra day in Crested Butte. Dan ran into a little electrical trouble in Durango, so I assumed he would take longer to get to Moab. He actually got everything fixed and was on the road in a couple hours. This gave him the morning by him self in Moab to go mountain bike the 'Whole Enchilada'.

I said goodbye to my brother, sister-in-law and nephew early in the morning and then headed out to Moab on a beautiful two-lane highway. I got to the Lazy Lizard in Moab around three, checked in and went to explore the town. I found the local micro-brew pub where I watched a little college football before heading back to the hostel. Dan had just got back from the 24 mile downhill ride that is the Whole Enchilada. He said that I HAVE to do it too, so we made plans to do it on Monday. That night we drank the good beer we brought from Colorado, most macro-brews are 3.2% and the "micro-brews" are a flavorless 4%.

The next morning we decided that we needed to ride the KLRs on some of the amazing local terrain, so we
WindowsWindowsWindows

Looks kind of like a demon rising out of the desert
drove up the highway just past Arches National Park to a mesa that Dan remembered from the last time he was there. It was like a dirt-bike wonderland! Hundreds of miles of trails and acres of smooth rock surfaces provided us with several hours of riding adventures. We got back to the hostel and had a good rest, getting ready for Arches the next morning.

We hit Arches early so it was a pretty cold ride for awhile. We did the hike up the mountain to Delicate Arch, the one thats on the Utah license plate. A couple more little hikes and I was ready for a beer. We get back to the hostel and the cleaning lady tells us that I need to pay for my room but that the guy may not remember me because everyone working there is on kava today. Whats kava you ask? Its a hallucinagen similar to mushrooms. The Lazy Lizard hostel runs on its own rules! We settled in with some beers and The Revenge of the Nerds vhs and went to sleep.

Next day, we did the enchilada(see pics!). They couldn't take us all the way up to Burrow Pass because there was a snowstorm on that part of the mountain! We settled for the 9400ft drop off and rode the 24 miles down the mountain onto the edge of a mesa on single track. Its freezing cold when you start and by the time you get to the bottom, its hot! There are areas of the trail where you are riding on sand and rock and then all of the sudden, you are peering over the 1000ft drop at the edge of the mesa. Absolutely the sickest mountain biking Ive ever done. We made it back to town on the bikes and rested.

We rolled out early in the rain for Canyonlands National park. On the way, we ht Hole in the Rock, a cave house and cafe that this eccentric guy blasted out of the rock. After that, we rolled out to the park where the rain turned into ice pellets. We had to seek refuge at a campsite and i snuggled in my sleeping bag with some books while Bryon constructed the ultimate fireplace in this rock crevasse. Cooked a steak on the fire and went to bed.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Spring!Spring!
Spring!

Dan knew about a local spring in Moab


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb