The Arches/Canyonlands/Moab Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Moab
May 5th 2008
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

0. Balanced Rock 1. The Windows 2. Double Arch 3. Delicate Arch (Wolf Ranch Trailhead 4. Chesler Park (Elephant Hill Trailhead) 5. The Fiery Furnace 6. Shafer Overlook 7. Mesa Arch 8. Upheaval Dome Trailhead 9. Murphy Point Trailhead 10. Morning Glory Bridge/Negro Bill Canyon Trailhead

For our second annual Father-Son bonding trip, my dad and I headed out to Moab, Utah for some hiking in Canyonlands and Arches National Parks. We got in a ton of great hiking over the four days we were out there and rewarded ourselves with some great Italian food in the evenings!

After setting out early on the morning of May 5, we arrived in the early afternoon in Moab and headed straight into Arches for a little bit of easy hiking and site-seeing. We got to do a little climbing around Double Arch and the Windows before ending our day with a visit to the famous Delicate Arch. The next morning, we got an early start and headed down to the Needles District of Canyonlands for a longer hike through the some of the most alien landscape I’ve ever experienced. Our third day saw us splitting our time between Arches—where we did the ranger-guided Fiery Furnace hike—and Canyonland’s Island in the Sky District—where we did several short slick-rock hikes. On the morning of our final day, we did the hike to Morning Glory Bridge before finally heading home. All told, we covered about 26 miles and got to see some really great stuff. You’ll find individual entries for each day. Even though the Fiery Furnace and Island in the Sky hikes were on the same day, I’ve separated them out since they were in different parks.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb