Island In the Sky - Day 9


Advertisement
Published: June 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left Monument Valley by 7:30 anticipating a trip to Natural Bridges. However, Gary was not game for taking the RV down a very narrow road with a steep grade and a few switch backs. We decided to wait and see if we should take another route there or just go on to Moab, UT. We stopped near Blanding, UT at a museum housing an Anasazi home. It was called Edge of the Cedars. Unfortunately, the museum was closed bu the old Pueblo homesite was not. We took looked around a bit and took pictures. We then decided we would go on to Moab right away. Good thing we did as we secured a great campsite at a nice campground on a couple miles from the sights we want to see.

The first place we headed to was the Island in the Sky National Park. It is actually part of the Canyonlands but there are two separate entrances. There were a couple of beautiful turnouts. The first was Grand View Overview. You can see the mountains in the background and the canyon is divided into three different levels. The second view point was the Mesa Arch. It is just a taste of what we will see tomorrow at Arches National Park. In another part of the park, scientists think a meteor hit the area several hundred thousand years ago. It is quite a busy and hot day. We did take a nice dip in the hot tub and will be headed to bed early so we can get to Arches early.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Bottom of the canyonBottom of the canyon
Bottom of the canyon

This road leads throughout the canyon is part of a 2 day 4 wheel drive trip


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb