Peach Pie


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Cannonville
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Did I say today is reserved for more rocks? Surprise, today is reserved for Peach Pie (and some rocks too).

In the 1870’s Capital Reef National Park was the home of a community of Mormons who settled and farmed orchard crops along the Fremont River, a tiny stream but enough water for irrigation of grass and fruit trees. Now the area is within a beautiful rock canyon and hosts a visitors centre with daily fresh pastry and preserves. Who would have guessed among the desert, sandstone cliffs and sage shrubs that a community could survive. Peach Pie was stored for dinner and we took at 15 km one way drive through the centre of the park. Here peach and red cliffs and house sized rocks from the cliffs above kept the Sony cameras busy.

Utah 24 follows the Fremont River through the park and beyond eroded desert cliffs kept chasing us. At Torrey we turned onto Utah12 for a mountain climb to 9,600 feet and temperature just 16 deg C. Fall colours took all memory for Peach cliffs away and now the Sony’s were busy capturing trembling yellow Aspens in groves among the meadows of Boulder Mountain. A Transportation bureaucrat from Salt Lake City, named Cecil Church had the foresight to route this highway high on the flanks of the extinct shield volcano.

Further south west we crossed more amazing eroded deserts with cliffs of peach coloured Jurassic Navajo Sandstone. It took us 7 hours to come 120 miles today. We stopped 50 times for the views but only one picnic stop. Finally we arrived at the Cannonville KOA camp ground in a green valley with temps near 28 C. Peach pie for dessert. Tomorrow we visit Bryce Canyon National Park 12 miles away.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Aspens at over 10,000 FeetAspens at over 10,000 Feet
Aspens at over 10,000 Feet

Boulder Mountain is the highest treed mountain, with trees right up to the summit.


4th October 2008

Peach Pie
Okay. I see lots of rocks but what I want to know is where is the peach pie photo? -Jim

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0905s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb