August 3rd Bryce Canyon National Park,UT to Green River,UT


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
August 7th 2009
Published: August 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

August 3rd Bryce Canyon National Park, UT

We got up pretty early and since we were staying right outside the park entrance we were able to take the park shuttle up into the park. Our plan was to do another hike today. I think the cowboy hat I bought was my best investment on the entire trip. It is so hot out and the hat does wonders to keep the sun off. I may continue be a cowgirl when I get home!

Bryce Canyon is not quite like anything we've seen so far. Just so interesting you can't take your eyes off of it. It is a pretty deep canyon so vivid red in color. Growing among the deep red rock is dark green trees dispersed about. I'm not sure how they grow as I've not seen much water in a long long time!

The canyon has these huge forms in all different shapes and sizes that are called hoodoos. Indian legend has it that they were once people who turned bad so Cayote turned them to rock. Some of them are standing,some sitting, some small, some huge. They are fascinating. AS far as the eye can see them!

We walked about 4 miles among the hoodoos connecting 2 trails together. Some say it is the most beautiful trail in the world. We took our time exploring and just taking in the scenery. It is something that we will never forget.

After our hike we got in the car and drove east again. We drove thru some unbelievable country. We were literally driving on a ridge thru huge rock cliffs and mountains. There was nothing but the road with drop offs on either side. You could see forever! When we came down from the ridge there was this little restaurant that came up in the miiddle of nowhere. We stopped for lunch and were treated to some awesome food.

We got to Capitol Reef National Park about 6:00. The info center was closed and to tell you the truth we were tired so we just took a quick drive thru. Good thing too because as we got down the road we were in the middle of nowhere. The most remote area I've ever seen besides the indain reservation. No trees, no people, no cell service. Nothing but rock and sand. I felt like we had been abducted by aliens and were driving on the moon!

We finally reached Interstate 70 and stopped at the KOA in Green River,UT for the night. Tomorrow we are going to Moab,UT to go whitewater rafting. Looking forward to that.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb