We love southern Utah!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah » Bryce Canyon
May 20th 2009
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Capital Reef NPCapital Reef NPCapital Reef NP

good biking along an 8 mile scenic road
Hey now....We’ve been cruising around southern Utah for the last several weeks having a great time. The weather has been decent, a little warmer than average. But first, you may have noticed Patty has got the Jamie Lee Curtis hair thing going on. She said before the trip that she wanted to go “natural”, stop coloring her hair so she cut it all off…says it’s a lot easier to take care of… I kind of like it. Anyway, after Arches, we drove a couple of hours over to Capital Reef NP and stayed 5 days. A much less visited park…we had a great campsite right on a fruit orchard & meadow…the first evening 15 mule deer came to the meadow and we had “dining with the deer”. Next stop was about 100 miles west on Hi-way 12 which is a scenic all American byway, to Kodachrome basin state park. On the way a mountain lion jumped out onto the road in front us, ran down the road a little bit and then ran up the hill to our left and sat looking down at us. I grabbed the camera and got a little bit of video… that was cool. It’s so nice to be able to stay for 4 or 5 days at each place and just explore and relax. Next it was about another 2 hours to Zion NP for 5 days. This is our 3rd time here and we never get tired of it. Our campsite was about 20 feet from the Virgin river…there’s nothing more relaxing than the sound of rushing water when you’re outdoors. …the only thing I’m concerned with today is whether I can get a good picture of a lizard. The highlight here for us was doing the Angel’s Landing hike, where from the top you can get a 360 view of the entire Zion Canyon. It’s the most challenging hike in the park…5 miles round trip, gaining 1400 ft. in elevation. There are 21 switch backs on the north side of the cliff but the fun part is the last half mile which climbs 400 ft up a knife edge ridge to the top….trust me, you swallow pretty hard before starting that last part. We always wanted to do it and we figured it’s now or never…chalk one up for the old geezers!
5/19/09- We’ve been at Bryce Canyon NP for the last 5
Capital reefCapital reefCapital reef

good view of the waterpocket fold that this park is known for
days…it’s 8000 ft and cooler…70’s and high 30’s at night…good smores weather. This is a hiker and photographers paradise. We took a half day horseback ride down into the Canyon and today we saw a blonde colored black bear wandering around. Next it’s on to the north rim of the Grand Canyon then on to Mesa Verde. Out here they call the trip the Grand Circle which includes 5 national parks in Utah and Mesa Verde in CO. All together we’re hitting 9 national parks. We’re planning on being home around June 7th. We just heard the Magic beat the Celtics….go Magic!



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kodachrome Basin SPKodachrome Basin SP
Kodachrome Basin SP

Patty seemed to like to rock formations around here!
Grosvenor ArchGrosvenor Arch
Grosvenor Arch

It's a double arch
Angels LandingAngels Landing
Angels Landing

I'm pointing at it ...duh!
Angels Landing Angels Landing
Angels Landing

there's the top
now the fun begins!now the fun begins!
now the fun begins!

look close for the people in the top third of the pic to get perspective
She's smilingShe's smiling
She's smiling

1400' down to her left but only 800 to her right
Angels landing from the topAngels landing from the top
Angels landing from the top

Can you tell we were happy to make it??
Horny toadHorny toad
Horny toad

That's what we called them when we were kids in Texas...remember Diane?
Bryce horse rideBryce horse ride
Bryce horse ride

Well....Patty and some others (including the head wrangler) had mules...a little steadier
Just another day at the officeJust another day at the office
Just another day at the office

Patty said she thinks I morphed into Charlie Daniels
Wall street at BryceWall street at Bryce
Wall street at Bryce

Bill...I think this is the trail you and Andrew took.
Bryce lunch stopBryce lunch stop
Bryce lunch stop

Our typical day is to hike a couple of hours, find a good spot and wolf down some PB & J's
Blonde black bearBlonde black bear
Blonde black bear

We have a good zoom!


21st May 2009

Your pictures are amazing! It's hard to believe that you guys are really out there. Looks like you have a had nothing but great weather considering the blue skies in every picture. Stay safe and come home in one piece, ok! Miss you both! Can't wait for a family get together when you get back!
22nd May 2009

wow
WOW. lea
24th May 2009

I'm jealous!!
Everything is gorgeous!! I'm also glad to know that I'm related to celebrities--Jamie Lee Curtis and Charlie Daniels!
24th May 2009

Wall Street
Yes! That loop trail at Bryce through Wall Street was the one Drew and I took. It kicked my ass on the way back up. Thanks for the photo, it brings back good memories.

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0945s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb