Fiesta!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
April 28th 2013
Published: May 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Zipper lighterZipper lighterZipper lighter

Everyone has their Fiesta rituals. Ed's includes starting the weekend off with a good cigar, and, apparently, striking a match off of his zipper.
I've been wanting to see my friend Monica for awhile now, so when she suggested we fly into San Antonio during Fiesta's last weekend celebrations, we did! Fiesta is basically a two-week party loaded with parades, royalty pageants (yes, there's royalty in Texas), dances and all sorts of food and gift vendors. It's more than that, and it certainly means a whole lot to the people of San Antonio. To outsiders it's street-to-street happy people and lots of noise and color! Standing in line is inevitable, especially if you're hungering for chicken or steak or what looks like penis (it's a sausage with a biscuit at the bottom) on a stick, but it's okay because everyone is so friendly and happy you don't mind. Standing in line is part of the fun ... really.

It's also a celebration of culture: Mexican, Texan, New Orleans, German, and a whole bunch more. Turns out there's a lot of cultures connected to the home of the Alamo.

We had such a fantastic time that we're marking our calendars for this time next year, and this time we'll be ready with our fiesta hats and extra beer and arts and crafts money.
Big BrownBig BrownBig Brown

Miss Brown tasting the big brown

There's not much to write because, well, what happens in Fiesta stays in Fiesta (but we were good, I swear). I did come in here to post pics so that my fellow fiesta buddies could nab what they like. Monica, I spared everyone the eclair photo, but I have it if you want it! Scroll to the bottom and go to next page to see pics.

p.s. and I'm sorry I didn't take better pics. it's hard to remember to snap photos when you're having fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Titty strikerTitty striker
Titty striker

Joe uses this poor wood carving's chest.
Beer and StogiesBeer and Stogies
Beer and Stogies

Does it get any better than this.
The crew!The crew!
The crew!

and this is the gang we flew to see ... and will do again next year!
Chicken on a steekChicken on a steek
Chicken on a steek

Another ritual is standing in a very long line to get your very own chicken and jalapeno on a stick. BUT, you can't go on any chicken stick line. You have to go to Mr. Chicken's because he has the best breasts.
Watch out buddy...Watch out buddy...
Watch out buddy...

Monica has her eyes on your meat.
Quiet cornerQuiet corner
Quiet corner

Maggie says to heck with you all, I'm hiding right here and eating my chicken in peace.
Share the loveShare the love
Share the love

one of the best things is there is so much food that, well, you just share your stick finds with your buddies.
Doesn't taste like chickenDoesn't taste like chicken
Doesn't taste like chicken

of course this was in the German tent! We also did the hokie pokie and chicken dance at the same time.
three amigosthree amigos
three amigos

and they're quite happy!
the hats!the hats!
the hats!

I'm already plotting and planning my fiesta hat for next year. This guy's beer hat wasn't as big as some of the others we saw, but it's a good one.
this one lit up!this one lit up!
this one lit up!

oh and we're waiting on the bathroom line, which, as you can tell, is still a party.
confetticonfetti
confetti

this picture doesn't do our confetti experience justice. It is every where! Eggs full of them get squashed on your head and in your shirts, or the back of your pants. Let's just say even our bathroom was mighty festive looking.
Cinderella is jealousCinderella is jealous
Cinderella is jealous

the light parade was awesome.
Show your shoes!Show your shoes!
Show your shoes!

When the floats go by with pretty girls/women on them, people yell show your shoes. This cute little girl had cute, little shoes. Some of the women will be decked in gorgeous gowns, but when they show their shoes it'll be flippers or big, fluffy things. It was pretty funny.
Mt. Penis...Mt. Penis...
Mt. Penis...

no. It's the top of a church, but I swear you saw its tip everywhere.


1st May 2013

Thanks for attending
What a GREAT time to see you and Joe. So glad I got to pop your cherry. Truly hope you all had a good time. We loved having you. See you next year!!!

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb