Il Mio Cugino Vincenzo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » San Antonio
July 22nd 2009
Published: July 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Burning DaylightBurning DaylightBurning Daylight

But we're on vacation and sleeping in is part of the routine.
My Italian cousin Vincenzo has immigrated to the USA! He and Sara, are newlyweds currently on a massive honeymoon road trip from Maine to California. Beth and I met them in Houston and road-tripped with them to Idaho.
I don’t want to dump all over my fellow Americans that live in Houston, Texas, but getting out of Houston was like escaping Hell. The day we met up with Vincenzo & Sara the heat index was 108 degrees and the humidity was horribly suffocating. An immediate escape was not possible as the traffic on the freeway had slowed down to a crawl due to various accidents.
The AC wasn’t working and I thought my brains were about to boil. It took us about three hours to finally get out of that hellhole. As we drove westward toward San Antonio the humidity relented and even though the temps were still about the same, it felt infinitely cooler.
Our first stop was at South Llano State Park. As you can see by the photos, South Llano is located in the picturesque and quite green Texas hill country. It really is quite pretty and scenic. The park is very clean and well managed. The facilities
No one stirringNo one stirringNo one stirring

except for me...as I headed to the morning constitutional.
were very clean and we greatly appreciated that when we went to hit the showers.
The evening breeze and temps were very comfortable and as we pitched our tent; we were grateful that after an afternoon of misery our evening and night was going to be pleasant. We then proceeded to pour some much needed vino and grill our evening meal. We slept soundly and the next morning the temps were cool and indeed stayed that way for the morning drive.
Our first stop was in Fort Stockton for gas and lunch.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Caffe!Caffe!
Caffe!

We don't start the day until the first cup of caffe! My morning ritual is: caffe & 1 biscotto, then a banana, then a bowl of oatmeal.
South Llano State ParkSouth Llano State Park
South Llano State Park

is located between San Antonio and Fort Stockton. It is a quiet and beautiful oasis.
Hill CountryHill Country
Hill Country

The state park also has an adjacent Wildlife Management Areas...and a sign that says to watch out for snakes...just so you know.
Hit the roadHit the road
Hit the road

very "purty" as one would say in this neck of the woods...


Tot: 0.228s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb