New Braunfels/Gruene, TX


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » New Braunfels
September 1st 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Needless to say, we weren't impressed with what Austin had shown us, so we packed up and left for New Braunfels and the Gruene (pronounced green) Dance Hall. We stayed at the River Ranch RV park just under I-35. That sounds bad, but with the A/C running full time (did I mention that it's 100 degrees and at least 85% humidity???), you didn't hear the traffic noise, and the park is right along the river. Once we got situated, we headed for Gruene, just outside of New Braunfels. Apparently it had turned to a Ghost Town (although the Gruene Hall never closed), but had been revitalized, and now it's a nice little town full of antique shops and restaurants. We chose The Gristmill (which was actually the old gristmill) for dinner...it was ok, but nothing fabulous. Then over to the Hall. WOW!!! A young man (read: 18) named Adam Johnson, and his band, The Pay-me's played blues...WOW!!! He was totally amazing. Glenn kept saying he was channeling Stevie Ray Vaugh...and I believed it!!! We met 3 locals sitting next to us, so they were telling us about how the town had been revitalized and what to see when we get to San Antonio 😊 Then during one of the breaks, Glenn got chatting with the lady behind him...it was Adam's Grandmother!! She was telling us that he bought a guitar at a yard sale when he was about 10 years old, and hasn't stopped since...needless to say, we closed the place down!!

Tuesday we bummed around New Braunfels a bit. They have a huge Cavender's store there...boots, jeans, all things western...so we had to have a look...then over to Camping World. We have a leak by the A/C and wondered it there was something we could fix...it's small at this point, but gotta get it taken care of...anyway, there was a nice lady named Vicky there who had really short hair. As I was desperate to get a haircut, I asked her where she gets hers cut...she told us, so we immediately set out for the place. Well...the directions weren't great, but we finally found Ester. She did a really good job, and it was only $28 for the both of us!!! Nice!!!

G made us a nice pasta dinner and we headed back to the Gruene Hall. Tonight's band was Walt Wilkins and the Mystiqueros. He wrote "Wave on Wave" with Pat Green, along with a few other country hits. The bass player was awesome as well...was really enjoyable. A larger crowd, and you could tell that most of them had been following the band for some time. Left there for Billy's Ice House, which had a local band playing...didn't catch their name, but they were more of a typical bar band...ok, but nothing outstanding...




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Artist in ResidenceArtist in Residence
Artist in Residence

Grandma beat me out of the nice watercolor this gentleman produced while we were listening to the band...bummer...but she was really sweet!!


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb