Houston Blast Off


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Houston
October 17th 2011
Published: October 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

25 hours after getting on a plane in Christchurch, we finally made it to Houston, Texas. Im not a great flyer, but somehow this trip wasn't so bad... The only problem was being extremely bored!

The chorus are staying at the Crowne Plaza, complete with free internet, a pool, onsite bar and restaurant and home to our rehearsals for the next ten days. As our shuttle pulled up to the hotel, we had a singing welcome from all the other chorus members who had checked in the day before, which was heartfelt and really lovely.

Day two started with an early wake up to find breakfast and then some shopping. Half the chorus had the same idea, as we found many of them at Macys. In fact, at one point, about a third of the baritone section were all in the changing rooms parading round in the jeans they were trying on, deciding which pair looked best!

Houston has very few eateries/shops on the street and we now know why. A series of tunnels run underground hosting an array of food outlets and stores- its just like being in a mall but with no windows. The tunnels are complimented by multiple sky walks above ground, connecting the major buildings together. - We wondered if this is due to the heat.
Did I mention it is HOT here! 30 degrees in Autumn, I cant begin to imagine what it's like in Summer!

The entire chorus & supporters had a social evening out at a steak house.. now I know what you are thinking.. a vegetarian at a steak house?! Well...It had an expansive salad buffet (I was so full!) and waiters coming to the table serving freshly cooked meats, 13 different types - Check out the photo, it was a lot of fun. We sang to all the other diners and had a blast.

We have had a few days of rehearsals now with a couple of our American coaches. It's amazing how much more focussed we are here, we have learned and retained so much in just a few days.

We had the opportunity to see the Houston Symphony Orchestra and Idina Menzel (the lead in the Broadway production; Wicked) in the Houston Theatre District. She is so incredibly talented and the Orchestra was amazing.

The chorus put on a fundraising concert for the Christchurch City mission on Saturday night and also sang at a show which included all the non-American Chorus's on Sunday night. We received a standing ovation as the MC mentioned how happy they were to have us here after all we have been through.. a few chorus members had to fight back the tears and they were flowing in the audience. The Houston chorus gave each member of the Christchurch City Chorus a T-shirt as their token of support.

We are all very excited to see what the next few days bring, we'll keep you updated!





Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



18th October 2011

temps
good to see you're enjoying your trip so far. never been to houston before. we had temps around 33* in vegas this last weekend, so you won't be seeing a break from the heat for a while. will probably cool down the day you leave.
19th October 2011

Aftershock and Eventime
Hi Liz (and chorus) - loved what I saw of Aftershock's performance. Sat up in bed at 5am, switched on the laptop, connected to the webcast, saw mic testing quartet, then first competing quartet and then our girls. Wow, they looked fantastic, nice and relaxed. The uptune was fabulous, sounded great. Settled back into my pillows to enjoy the ballad and wham, my laptop switches off!!! no reason, just decided that I didnt' need to hear them sing anymore. I was soooooooo bummed. So I caught the first 20 seconds of the ballad ... but I've heard from others back home that they were AWESOME! I did manage to reconnect in time to hear Eventime - they were neat; sounded great. To the chorus - KNOCK THEM OFF THEIR SEATS TOMORROW LADIES!! We know you'll rock tomorrow. xoxo
21st October 2011

HOORAY - 11th!!
Well, ladies, what can I say? Today you were FANTASTIC! I was watching/listening with huge pride. You sang so well the ballad gave me goosebumps. And what a fabulous result - to be mic testing chorus, fabulous - 11th in the world!! You can strut your stuff some more and show off to the world why you deserve to be back on that stage performing your fun package. About 30 of the non- Houston travellers are catching up for lunch tomorrow (Saturday for us) so we'll celebrate for you (and with you). I'll also have a wine or two for you tonight when I get home! Yeehaa, what a fantastic day!!

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb