Painted Churches


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Giddings
March 9th 2010
Published: March 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

St. Mary's Catholic Church, in High Hill.St. Mary's Catholic Church, in High Hill.St. Mary's Catholic Church, in High Hill.

See how high the ceiling is? The scaffolding goes four levels high. They say all the work is volunteer, but I suspect they don't mean RVICS volunteers!

(Camp Tejas)

We are back in Giddings, where we were in November, and I have to say I feel like we’re back in the US! There’s a check station on the highways leaving the valley, much like the border crossing into Canada, where they have drug dogs that walk around the vehicles while they ask questions of us. Apparently two white haired people are that threatening, because they didn’t come in and look through our bus, but we could see cars pulled aside that they were searching. When we got through that, it felt like a different country, and the language on the signs is English (mostly!). Bob and I both are really fond of this area.

We spent a week at the Village in Smithville, where not only did Bob attend the board meeting, but he was elected chairman of the board for 2010. We had a restful time there, and were quite ready to get on to the new project.

We were here in November, and if you need to review the scenery, check the back entries! We’re glad to be back, as we’re both really fond of this area, and especially this camp. We
Notice the gold trim.Notice the gold trim.Notice the gold trim.

It's like a mini-cathedral.
are with Larry and Ruth, and Dan and Jill, from the past two months, and we’ve been joined by Terry and Penny….we’ve told them we’re glad for some fresh jokes!

In November we watched the staff release the water from the upper lake, so they could build a house over the lake…if you haven’t read that entry, it was quite an event! They didn’t get as far with it as they intended, because of the amount of rain they’ve received the past few months, but the lake has refilled to about four feet already! The men are working on that building. The women are painting the doors in the conference room (where the men raised the roof last time) and Ruth is working in the office; I’m painting the signs that I was working on four months ago. We’re also joined by two SOWER couples, and the women are also painting with us.

We are finally having spring weather; the trees are light green, like the buds are going to pop out any day, and birds are singing~~not birds like in downtown McAllen, but birds like come in trees! There are cardinals around, and I now can recognize their songs.

Bob and I spent one afternoon last week exploring the “Painted Churches” in this area; there’s a heavy Czech history in this part of the state, and they built churches with European architectural design. Most of the churches are Catholic, and all are different, but the thing they have in common is that the painting on the interior is done by hand~~either stenciled, or free style, or backfilled. They are just exquisite…they resemble the huge cathedrals I’ve read about, but on a miniature style. All the churches are still being used, and in most cases, they’re in towns about the size of Savage! Not hard to spot once you find the town! We found five of them, and I think there are four more. Enjoy the pictures



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

One of 24 such windowsOne of 24 such windows
One of 24 such windows

in this church.
Dubina Parish Church.Dubina Parish Church.
Dubina Parish Church.

It's open for scheduled tours, but if you're alone, you can only view through the gated doors. Bummer.
Looking from the gated foyer.Looking from the gated foyer.
Looking from the gated foyer.

The vaulted ceiling was painted by a famous (not to me, though!) Swiss artist. This church was started by the Czechs.
We didn't see either of theseWe didn't see either of these
We didn't see either of these

words in the Valley~~the English I remember from before we went down there, and the other one isn't Spanish, I can tell you that!
Ammannsville, TexasAmmannsville, Texas
Ammannsville, Texas

This church was built in 1917, after two previous buildings had burned. The artwork is partially hand stenciled and partially freehand.
The HUGE  pipe organ and choir loftThe HUGE  pipe organ and choir loft
The HUGE pipe organ and choir loft

are in this upper alcove. Look at the stenciling!
This is looking toward the back of the church.This is looking toward the back of the church.
This is looking toward the back of the church.

Notice the lights in this church! Especially compared to the High Hill church's chandeliers!
Ammansville Catholic Church.Ammansville Catholic Church.
Ammansville Catholic Church.

Not only did they put effort into the paint, but also into the windows!
HEY, this isn't a Painted Church...HEY, this isn't a Painted Church...
HEY, this isn't a Painted Church...

but someone must think so, because it is registered as one. Now this looks more like RVICS painting! (This one is Methodist.)
I first read this as St. John.I first read this as St. John.
I first read this as St. John.

The Baptist Catholic Church! There's two groups you don't often see together!
Praha...Praha...
Praha...

All of this was handpainted in 1869, and then restored two years ago.
Detail of the ceiling...the pillarsDetail of the ceiling...the pillars
Detail of the ceiling...the pillars

flair out when they get to the ceiling. This one was gorgeous.
One of the windows in St. Mary's Parish.One of the windows in St. Mary's Parish.
One of the windows in St. Mary's Parish.

And they were all done by hand.


11th March 2010

Like the collection
Hi, I like your collection of the churches. Wow, I would say all of them are better than most of our homes. Wayne was just reading the people will not go to a church that is poorer in style and looks than their own home. I wonder if that is true.
11th March 2010

Oh my Gosh Vicki!! How did you keep your hands from touching everything? And did you figure out all the painting techniques so you can do it? They are so gorgeous!! (sp?) And I am so glad you have a camera that can pick up so many details. Although I'll bet you probably remember seeing so many more details than the pictures reveal. Didn't you want to just sit and look and look and look? Which one was your favorite?
11th March 2010

churches
Thanks for sharing the photos of the churchs. A couple of them reminded me of the church in Richardton and the one smaller one (with the choir loft) reminded me of the old Catholic church in New Salem.
11th March 2010

Hi, Lois!
If what Wayne read is true, these people could live in very fancy houses and still not be as nice as their churches! What's new with Wayne? Where are you?
11th March 2010

Hi, Patti!
I think the High Hill church was my favorite, although I did like the one in Praha. But I also liked the one in Dubina...there, does that clear it up for you!! Yes, we did sit and just appreciate the effort that went into them, to honor God. I'm glad enjoyed them, too.
11th March 2010

Hi, Margo!
Isn't that true about the "old" church in NS~~the new one doesn't have any of that feeling of old style reverence. I don't know how to describe the feeling that I'm talking about. It was much larger than the NS church, though. But yes, about the other one looking like the Abbey chuch. (The abbey is bigger.) Did they remind you of the cathedral you took gramma through?
15th March 2010

Tour Guide
I really enjoyed the church tour. We just seen the seminary chapel in Denver, John Meyer was our guide. Breath taking and awesome. Bob-- you remember that even a christain group creates stress. I am not certain if I should say congratulations but I know that you are doing God's work. Just spent the weekend with Christie, we come home to rest. Love Bev
16th March 2010

Thanks, Bev!
:)
18th March 2010

Green Trees???
We are just getting rid of the snow. We have had 3 lovely days in the low 70˚s Don't you miss Montana???? We may be taking a quick trip to Hemet the beginning of April for a few days - hope to see our Granddaughter and her new husband Jacob Lossing!!!! They are living in Fayetteville, NC and will be there for a few days. Then we are planning on toddling over to Phoenix for a few days and then on home. Just the car and 2 dogs. Leave the cats home Miss you guys Loveyou Diana
21st March 2010

Hi, Diana!
I've spent enough years in Montana to know you may not be done with the snow yet!! It's great to hear from you, though, and to hear things are going well. Give Bill a hug for us.

Tot: 0.346s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 62; dbt: 0.2437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb