Hurricane Ike - The Days After


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Beaumont
September 17th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hurricane Ike may have landed on the Texas Gulf Coast but his continued fury through our great nation is a tragedy as well.

My writings are limited to my areas as I know these regions, the people and these community businesses and cultures best.

Deaths attributed as a result of this storm, either directly or indirectly, will eventually be reported to the public. An official count has not yet been tallied and search and rescue / recovery efforts continue in certain communities.

The Dallas Morning News this Wednesday, September 17, 2008 has a brief report under the headings of 'Developments' and 'Deaths' of a count of 17 in Texas.

These deaths are as a result of what I term as carelessness as they resulted from misuse of generators, candles and trimming trees.

'Price Gouging' is another subtitle in that same publication. It states that the Attorney General's office has a toll free number to report complaints of alleged price gouging.

I did not call the number to learn if these complaints are available to the public as a possible 'watch for these businesses'. Publicizing these business names would probably be illegal in the USA.

Not so in the Yucatan of Mexico. Their Federal Consumer Protection agency publicized the names of those gouging so that the public would be warned. They updated the information often. I appreciated the information.

Damage incurred by residents as a result of the storm will be felt by a majority. Properties are damaged or destroyed. Relationships are strained, destroyed or strengthened. Finances and employment have suffered. Businesses will suffer.

People are wanting to return home to assess and begin rebuilding their lives.

Understandably, officials have restrictions on returning to areas for the safety and comfort of these same residents. Emotions, strained as they are, are on red alert.

Southeast Texans and those in southwest Louisiana will get through this latest 'blow' and it will be yet another past experience.

My circumstances here in the Dallas area remain unchanged. I am safe, comfortable, surrounded by pleasant company and rather enjoy my relaxed schedule.

My home area is still in the process of restoring services and safe access and egress for the community. I know they are accomplishing these tasks as swiftly and safely as they are able.

I, too, am wishing to return home but will make myself be patient.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb