Texas - last stop before Arizona!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
January 10th 2012
Published: January 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Once we left Louisiana, we headed straight to Texas, anxious to be on the road and back to Arizona is good time. We had visited Texas before, so felt there wasn't much need to be tourists again. But the weather started to change, with snow in the forecast (OMG!), so we stopped in Austin for a day. We visited the Capitol Building - another amazing piece of architecture, made out of local red granite. A beautiful building.

Spent the next night in a rest area, waiting out the snow. Fort Stockton had about 6 inches (gee, that happened last time we were here), but the sun was shining the next morning, so put on 550 miles in one day!

Now we are only one day away from Surprise, Arizona - our winter home! And we ended up with our coldest night yet on the Arizona/New Mexico border town of Lordsburg (29F/-2C). Our water line froze - I'm sure Surprise is warmer!

So, after 15,000 kms on the motorhome, and 8,000 kms on the car touring around, we are just a little travel-weary. But as our friends said - it has been a trip of a lifetime. It's hard to believe we have been on the road for 4 months straight. Even though we live in our motorhome full time, we always "settle" for awhile. It will be nice to get back to our routine again.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to read our blog, and all your comments!

Advertisement



13th January 2012

I will miss you!
Hi Marcy and Gerry - I am going to miss your wonderful blog - Rick and I can't do much travelling ourselves just now, but reading your reports and seeing your fabulous photos has been great. New Orleans looks fascinating! And now you are enjoying all that sunshine down on Happy Trails. Do please give our regards to all our friends in the tennis club and say how sorry we are not to be there with you - hopefully next year.

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb