Well, now what?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
December 27th 2011
Published: December 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The author at workThe author at workThe author at work

Mom blogs away
Leslie here:



Now that Mom and Dad have braved the interstates, downpours and major traffic jams, they seem to be settling in nicely to their new Austin surroundings. I actually think they're having a lot of fun with the whole adventure. It's certainly not everyone who would pick up everything, pack it in a minivan and drive a couple of thousand miles to start a new life where they've never had one before. So I commend them for that. Like Dad told Debby the other day, "Sometimes you just need to start a new adventure." In your mid-70s. Across the country. Wow.





So here they are and it's been fun having them around. Everyday we've been browsing neighborhoods and showing off our frequent haunts. When I asked Mom if she was going to continue to "blurb" their adventure, she said "I haven't been doing anything!" Well I beg to differ. Mom got here just in time to celebrate my birthday, she braved unfamiliar supermarkets during the big Christmas rush and (most impressively) she's been working out like a champion. "Working out???" you say? "Lois???" Well yes. Get used to it.


ZzzzzzZzzzzzZzzzzz

Cold and rainy outside, warm by the fire with classical music inside.



Today we decided we'd return to Kerbey Lane for breakfast, then walk to the bank to take care of some business. We all enjoyed the walk so much that we kept it going - along the main highway, through the neighborhood and then along the hiking/biking trail that brought us right back to the cafe where the minivan was waiting! We covered at least 2 miles if not more. Mom brought along a cane that she keeps in the van for emergencies, but it was me who held on to it for 97%!o(MISSING)f the hike. It was very handy to point to distant attractions, make sweeping gestures and to practice baton-twirling with.





And on her third day here, Mom was actually in the gym with me trying out exercise machines. We started on the treadmill but it didn't really suit her. So we tried the stationary recumbent bicycle and it seemed to be agreeable. Planet Fitness is a very stripped-down gym that appeals to the more humble athlete. Their slogans are things like "This is the No-Judgement Zone" and "If you had steroids for breakfast, this isn't your gym." So as Mom
Don't look now, Dad...Don't look now, Dad...Don't look now, Dad...

...but there's a cowboy behind you.
got settled into her recumbent bike and started soaking it all in she said "No Critics Allowed, I like that!" She knocked out 3 and a half miles.





Mom and Dad will start planning their attack on a new house in a couple of days, after the New Year festivities settle down and the world returns to work. Despite my ooh-ing and aah-ing over listings that start around $5 million, they seem determined to buy something more practical. So as the hunt begins, we'll keep you in the loop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Look out!Look out!
Look out!

Hikers coming through. We hit the trail hard.
A sweet time...A sweet time...
A sweet time...

...was had by all on my birthday which culminated in this decadent delight.
A cuppa cuppaA cuppa cuppa
A cuppa cuppa

Mom and Dad's favorite new breakfast joint, Kerbey Lane.


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb